Good to Get Out: Opportunities to Volunteer and Do Good
October 2016 Edition
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month starts today, so stay tuned as we feature some amazing organizations devoted to tackling cancer!
- National Arts & Humanities Month is here… time to get cultured! Calling all creative #Streeters! Any art that makes you feel #good? Do share.
- #DidYouKnow? The last two weeks in October are the only time when all major sports leagues play: The NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, and the MLS! Yay Sports!
- Join fellow members of the Good St. team on Friday, October 7th from 1:30pm to 4:30 pm in volunteering to coach a children’s after-school soccer game with America Scores in Harlem! For more deets, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pair up with some friends and get walking with Meals-on-Heels. On Saturday, October 8th, you can help the Carter Burden Center for Aging by delivering meals and making some new friends with the homebound on the Upper East Side!
- Missing the Summer already? Get back in the pool, and Swim for MS, whenever and wherever!
- Enjoy that perfect Autumn weather while cleaning up our parks! Plant some flowers & get raking on the Lower East Sides’ Corlears Hook Park. Stop by on October 22nd any time between 11am–3pm.
- Who ever has plans on Wednesday Night? Now you do! Join the San Francisco Food Bank on October 5th, from 6–8pm, and give back to the community. Get some friends together and help sort, inspect, and repackage food!
- Keep them beaches clean! Head down to Pacifica on Saturday, October 8th, from 9–11am, and enjoy a creative twist on volunteering.
- Chess Master? Share your skills and inspire others to get into the game. Connect with the Oakland Public Library to get involved. After all, chess does teach you a lot about life…
- Wear some old clothes and join the Tree Musketeers in El Segundo’s urban forests! Spare two hours on Saturday, October 8th from 10am–12pm to water, mulch, weed, and make an impact on the local environment.
- Interested in devoting some time weekly? Along with the Harkins Foundation, help students develop some kickass reading skills! No teaching experience required — email to learn more.
- Play an instrument? Carry a tune? Become a Music Therapy Volunteer with Premium Hospice and brighten people’s days with the magic of music!
- It’s not too late! Try to get into the popular Cambridge 5K Oktoberfest this Sunday, October 2nd. Volunteer and party it up after the race. + see people running in some wacky attire.
- Ever dream of being a judge? Help out the Boston Debate League on October 8th, from 1–6pm as you judge student debaters compete for the ultimate prize!
- On Saturday, October 15th volunteer at the Boston Book Festival. Tens of thousands get together at Copley Square to check out author presentations, panels, and engaging activities.