Importance and Types of Professional Development
The place and function of school and educators has transformed largely over the past few decades. Today, more is expected from a teacher, especially when they need to work with a multi-cultural and diverse classroom. In fact, an educator needs to put emphasis on integrating students with special learning needs. To make learning more effective, teachers are now making the use of latest technologies in communication. This is done is order to implement a performance oriented and practical learning framework for children. Most importantly, teachers are working up programs that encourage the involvements of parents.
As a teacher, you will be facing some situation, which you couldn’t prepare for earlier in your training years. Effective professional development and on-going training is essential to ensure an educator maintains high quality in their teaching method. Many online and distance learning program offer successful professional development for teachers. These programs bring teachers to participate in active learning environment, which are similar to ones they will use with their students. Thus, to encourage teachers to enhance their skill and aim for salary enhancements, teacher training and development is essential.
Online education courses for teachers go beyond their initial training. It serves a number of objectives including.
1. To update a teacher’s knowledge of their respective subject pertaining to recent developments in the field.
2. With latest knowledge, programs are helpful in updating individual skill, aptitude, teaching approach and style in case there is a breakthrough in teaching techniques.
3. To empower a teacher to implement changes made in academic curriculums and other essential teaching practices.
4. To encourage school to train and develop its teacher based on new teaching strategy application and other core aspects of teaching practice.
5. To exchange and spread valuable information and expertise among other educators, schools etc.
6. To engage the ill-equipped and weaker teacher section to become more effective.
Education is key to developing future minds of tomorrow. This form of skill upgrade can be done in a host of different ways. Professional development can be received in ways that range from forma to informal ways. One can acquire greater knowledge of their own subject through external expertise in form special education online courses, workshops, seminars etc. These can be considered as certified professional development or continuing education programs for teachers. Many educators also participate in short term education conferences and seminars where several teachers as well as researchers present their researches on particular subject.
Only through a continuous developmental approach, an educator can make a difference in their field.