1. Potatoes are a member of the nightshade family, which also includes tomatoes, capsicum and the poisonous belladonna.
2. In 1995 the potato became the first vegetable to be grown in space when seeds were germinated on the space shuttle Columbia.
3. The Incans in South America were the first people to cultivate the potato as long ago as 200 BC.
4. The Spanish introduced the potato to Europe following the Conquest in the sixteenth
5. Humans can survive on a diet of just potatoes, and milk or butter, which contain Vitamin A and D.