Join the ODC team
We are hiring a Network Officer
Salary: $22,000 — $30,000 USD depending on experience
Reporting to: Deputy Director
The Open Data Charter is looking for an action-oriented data champion to help manage our network. This year the Charter led a thought-provoking initiative to show that if data is opened up in the right way, it can help solve pressing problems faced by governments. As a result, we are refreshing the Open Data Charter Principles and piloting demonstration projects to showcase how these global norms can change cultures and practice on the ground. We are seeking a Network Officer to join us in stewarding this initiative.
We’re a small team, so we’re looking for someone who is proactive, can roll up their sleeves and is eager for a new exciting challenge. As a lean and agile organisation, we offer the right opportunity for the right candidate: the ability to shine on the global stage; as well as get stuck into the detail of supporting project delivery.
The Open Data Charter was founded in 2015 as a collaboration between governments and experts who came together and agreed six global principles for how to publish information. The shared aspiration was that data should be open by default, timely and interoperable. More than 90 governments and organisations have joined the movement — from the UK, Argentina and Ukraine, to the Web Foundation, Open Knowledge International and the Open Data Institute. Our goal is to embed the culture and practice of openness in governments in ways that are resilient to change and addressing policy challenges.
The Network Officer will support community building to enhance the impact of the Charter’s strategy. You will be carrying out research, managing projects, supporting working groups and collaborating with governments and the leading organisations in the field.
Job Description & Work Objectives
- Supporting the Charter network including by developing and implementing an engagement strategy for the governments and organisations who have adopted the Charter; liaising with Working Group chairs to support the delivery of their action plans and ensuring they fit with the wider Charter strategy; and working with the team to develop a consistent communications and advocacy strategy to to broaden the reach and impact of the Charter network.
- Leading the adoption/endorsement process including by developing materials for organisations and governments interested in joining the network, providing guidance to potential adopters & endorsers, and where needed, connecting adopting governments to expert organizations in the field.
- Providing administrative support for the Charter team including by providing general logistical support, and overseeing sound organisational and project management.
- Designing and delivering the Charter’s communication strategy, including by managing the organisation’s overall narrative, website and online presence; and liaising with the team to support the production and publication of communication products.
- Supporting the Charter team to develop sector work including by conducting scoping research on potential sectors and funders to support the development and implementation of the overall Charter strategy, and any other duties commensurate with the position as required.
Delivering the team’s strategy:
a. Producing high-quality analytical and research work
b. Working with the team to build coalitions and influence policymakers at a global level
c. Supporting the team to communicate the key messages of the Charter, including on social media
d. Supporting with translating materials, is a plus
a. Supporting the team to set up implementable plans to deliver projects
b. Keeping track of budgets, timelines, impact and deliverables
c. Managing multiple project parts simultaneously
a. Providing support for the Charter’s team to ensure its effective functioning, including by maintaining excellent internal and external relationships; supporting team meetings and development; and preparing briefings before travel, conferences and meetings.
b. Setting up team calls and other online and face to face meetings.
Communication and advocacy:
a. Developing a coherent overall narrative for the Charter team and network and implementing a communication plan by leveraging the Charter network and social media.
b. Liaising with the Charter adopters to document and share the impact of their open data policies.
c. Coordinating with communications-focused colleagues from partner organisations.
To apply please send a CV of no more than two pages and a one-page cover letter to email@example.com by 22 September 2018.