Introduce yourself to the world.
Katie Mack, Filmmaker/Director. I’m in love with Cinematography and losing myself into story. I’m a goofy, silly, extroverted introvert who loves books and pizza. I’m actually pretty boring now that I think of it…
1.When it comes to storytelling, where do you get your inspiration from?
When it comes to storytelling, most of my inspiration comes from feelings that I have…how my heart feels, whether joy or sadness. Sometimes I have feelings that are hard to explain and that’s when I turn to the page to try to make it make sense. Other times, my inspiration comes from music, people, art.
2. What is the toughest challenge you’ve faced so far?
The toughest challenge for me is funding. I typically pay out of pocket for my productions. Crowdfunding is hard as hell.
3. What kind of world do you want to see now that “Charlie” is made? (For clarification) We know that there is a message you as a filmmaker are conveying to your audience, what is that message?
I’d love to see a world where people are ok with being more open…more vulnerable, letting guards down, letting egos go and speaking their heart and truth. There’s so much beauty in that.
4. As a filmmaker, what are some key lessons learned so far?
Some major keys for me: 1. Always having a solid team (cast & crew) that not only believes in the story, but believes in me as the storyteller. If you’re on my set just for a check, no thank you. If you trust me, I won’t steer you wrong. 2. Trust my gut. Always.
5. What do you know today that you wish you knew when you began your journey as a filmmaker?
I wish when I started my filmmaking journey that I was as patient then, as I am now. I had so many stories to tell and felt that I wanted to keep up with everyone who was dropping content left and right when I should’ve realized that it was perfectly ok to take my time and do things when I was ready.
6. What would you say is your unique responsibility as a filmmaker?
My responsibility as a filmmaker is to tell MY stories and keep MY voice and vision, by any means necessary. That, is my one job.
How can others reach out to you and/or stay informed about your upcoming projects?