#BonfireStories — Introducing Filmmaker, writer and Storyteller Angel Hobbs
Introduce yourself to the world.
I’m Angel Hobbs, writer, director, storyteller.
- When it comes to storytelling, where do you get your inspiration from?
EVERYTHING. Literally, everything I see, think, feel, read, watch, in some way is used to draw inspiration from.
2. What is the toughest challenge you’ve faced so far?
Having patience can be very tough. We live in the world of now and we live in a world of broadcasting our successes and when you’re surrounded by that it can be tempting to want to put content out even before it’s ready. The filmmaking process has really taught the value of patience and planning and sticking to a plan and not rushing it just to put something out there.
3. What kind of world do you want to see now that your film “The Call” is made? (For clarification) We know that there is a message you as a filmmaker are conveying to your audience, what is that message?
I’d love to see a world where we stop treating people who have been incarcerated and those who are currently incarcerated as second class citizens. It’s a shame that the prison complex is a multimillion dollar “industry” that disproportionately profits off the backs of the black and brown bodies and I’d love to see a world where that is no longer true.
4. As a filmmaker, what are some key lessons you learned so far? (What do you know today that you wish you knew when you began your journey as a filmmaker)
YOUR TEAM is so important. You need people in the room that are better than you, that are smarter than you, and that are just as passionate as you. If you’re afraid, or threatened, or too prideful to work with people who know more than you about their craft, your projects are going to suffer. You should never ever be the smartest person in the room or else you are doing something wrong as a filmmaker.
5. What would you say is your unique responsibility as a filmmaker?
To keep learning and keep creating.
How can others reach out to you and/or stay informed about your upcoming projects?