Waze you can do better!
I am an avid user of Waze. I try to collect as many points as I can, I use it even if I’m driving to the same destination a million time. Somehow, Waze find ways to help me avoid random traffic jams and other unexpected surprises.
Having said this, Waze you can do better
- You can do better with removing friction from your main uses.
- You can do better by reducing the number of taps I have to make in order to start navigation.
- You can do better by helping me drive safer.
- You can do better by personalizing sh*t for me.
Wanna know how? Keep on reading.
You can do better with removing friction from your main uses
As I see it, there are two common use cases for using Waze:
- When I’m already in my car and I need driving directions to my destination. As fast as possible.
- When I’m on a tight schedule and I need ETA estimations, usually from from a location I’ll be in the near future to my destination.
In non of the mentioned cases I need Waze as a map. Sure, in the first use case I might want to see myself on a map, and still most of the time I’m driving while using waze and therefore can’t look.
And this is my first claim — the main screen of the app should not be a map.
I would suggest it will be a search screen, with the input area focused with the keyboard already open. Only this way I can start searching instantly and remove all irrelevant loading time, irrelevant data, etc.
You can do better by reducing the number of taps I have to make in order to start navigation
- First, I have to search.
- Second, I have to select the search result
- Third, I have to tap on Go in a preview screen
- Fourth I have to tap on drive in a preview pop-up. I can also wait 15 seconds and the navigation will start automatically.
I think that taking into consideration the main reasons users use Waze, you will also think of these screens as unwanted friction.
You can do better by helping me drive safer
From time to time we are all sinners and use Waze while driving. Sometimes trying to give back to the community by reporting on something interesting that we saw on the way. This is why I find it hard to understand why there are so many report options while in the way — limiting the main view to the top 3 reports and hide the rest behind a view all button will make much more sense.
You can do better by personalizing sh*t for me
I am not driving to ‘6 Hertzel street’, I am driving to my mother’s house. For me, addresses have a meaning. Addresses have a name. By allowing me to name the addresses I’m driving to you will make me happy and more connected.
There are so many other things you can do to be better, to be more social and add some revenue sources, but this will be for another time.
Here is my suggestion:
Like? Agree? Disagree? Comment, share and like!