Amma’s majige huLi
Amma makes brilliant majige huLi.
maJige hulu is a traditional south indian dish served with rice,a must when we have our festivals and stuff. But in my maternal home it is a regular thing making its apperance atleast once a week with menthya bath (fenugreek spiced rice) or some palya, since it is also one of Appa’s favourites.
I’m not particularly partial to it, I like my huLi’s and gojju’s but there was some leftover ladies-finger in my fridge and bored of our usual saaru palya dinner, i managed to coax Amma to show me how she makes the most amazing majige-huli.
So this is how Amma does it.
Prep(majige-huLi for 4)
- Soak kadle-bele (chana dal) for half an hour or in hot water for sometime.(1 tablespoon)
- Grate fresh coconut( Amma doesnt put much, 3 tablespoons max).
- Prep the veggie ( fry the ladies-finger, cook the ash-gourd( 3/4 cooked would be good).
- In a small teaspoon of ghee fry 4 green chilles,1 guntur chilli,2 spoons of jeerige( Dont fry too much, just for 1 min max) + the soaked chana dal.
- Grind all the stuff in step 4 + fresh coconut+ fresh coriander leaves + hing(asofetedia — potent spice) + also add in some raw mustard seeds just before grinding.
- Your spice mix is ready in step 5.
- Add in the mysterious spice mix in step 5 to the cooked/fried veggie, let it stew for a while. Not for too much time (3–4 mins max)
- We want the majige huLi to taste little bit raw and not all cooked.
- Add in salt to the veggie + spice mix.
- Add freshly whisked curd to the cooled mixture from step 9.
- Serve with hot rice/mudde and also menthya soppu bath which is our family favourite.