Pokémon Go flies in the face of everything we’ve learned. As of the time of writing this post:
- Pokémon Go sends zero push notifications.
- Pokémon Go does not ask to upload your address book to find or invite friends.
- Pokémon Go does not have any (virtual) social mechanics.
- Pokémon Go has a shop, but it never asks you to buy anything. The game does not become frustrating without purchases.
- Pokémon Go does not have any concept of game stamina or fatigue.
- Pokémon Go is not stable and crashes constantly.
- Pokémon Go has not been featured in either US app store.
And yet, Pokémon Go is the most downloaded app in a first week, ever, and it continues to shatter records and expectations.
For this app, strength of brand and product-market fit is everything. Traditional growth strategies be damned.