Episode 2 of ‘What the Hell Am I Doing?’
Bisexuality on TV, a dream, old beef, ‘The Uninhabitable Earth’, #eggcupgate AND MORE!
That’s right, folks! Despite a total lack of popular demand, I made another episode! Oh, and I figured out how to make it downloadable this time. As always, I will include timestamps and spoiler warnings in the descriptions.
00:00–02:53 — I explain why my GLOW section last week was so sparse, and make a pledge about running time (which I managed to stand by, with the help of some editing). Cracked article about Kayfabe:
For most of the last century, wrestling fans believed every storyline and bit of pageantry as the God's honest truth…www.cracked.com
Part 1: What the Hell Am I Watching?
- 2.53–8:51 — Orphan Black (spoilers for Season 5, episodes 4 and 5)
- 8:51–11:23 — The Handmaid’s Tale (mild spoilers for episode 7)
- 11:23–22:09 — Bisexuality on TV (mild spoilers for House of Cards; Peep Show; It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia; You Me Her, and the TV Movie An Unexpected Love)
- 21:53–25:00 — Top 5 sitcoms and cartoons
Part 2: What the Hell Am I Reading?
- 25:00–31:15 — A dream sequence sparks a revelation about the past. No, not in the book, in real life. Also, I talk about American Gods a little bit (mild spoilers for the novel through part 1)
- 31:15–36:17 — Next, I talk about David Wallace-Wells’ climate change piece, The Uninhabitable Earth. As promised, here are some of the responses:
(Continued on twitter here)
A controversial article says we're heading for the worst-case warming scenarios. But while we can't rule out extreme…www.newscientist.com
This is actually where I read the smoking analogy, not in the original article as stated in the recording:
Climate change is a tough issue to cover as a journalist. It's like following a slow-motion train wreck, except…mashable.com
Heat death. The end of food. Unbreathable air. Perpetual war. Yep, like much of the internet, I've been reading New…grist.org
On Monday, the beginning of the first full week of July, New York Magazine published " The Uninhabitable Earth.…digg.com
- 37:18–38:25 — #eggcupgate!
The article about “British food” I mentioned:
If you've ever watched the television show Downton Abbey , you've probably deduced that dining was a very, very big…www.npr.org
- 38:25 -end— Goodbye!
Thoughts? I’m on twitter!