People Are Flocking To Work In The Music Studio Industry — but why?
Why is the music studio industry suddenly so attractive for career prospects?
People do not really see any form of job advertisement for sound engineers both online and in print. However, thousands of people continuously apply for sound engineering jobs for recording studios across the country. The job itself does not need any form of advertisement in order for people to be interested in applying. There are just so many people who are really interested already that ads are not needed. Yet many more are wondering why jobs in the music studio industry are so popular.
What Do Employers Look For?
Sound engineers are not usually accepted for freelance positions. All recording studios only accept full time sound engineers. This means that job openings are usually very little in number.
Employers are simply not looking for people who are just skilled at doing the job. Aside from the technological aspect of the position, sound engineers must also possess the aptitude for the work. If a person wants to work as a sound engineer, they must have the problem solving capabilities required to solve any situation right away. Being successful in the recording industry is about quickly spotting the tiniest mistakes or lapses in seemingly perfect recordings and being able to correct these mistakes on one’s own.
Applicants must also possess a certain level of confidence. Those who are shy are not entertained by employers. Those who wish to be sound engineers are going to be dealing with clients who will tell them what their requirements are. The sound engineers should be capable of responding to these clients in the friendliest and most efficient way possible. Confident sound engineers make the clients feel comfortable and secure when they are doing a session.
Sound engineers should also be diplomatic and friendly. They must always have a positive disposition when dealing with difficult or stressful situations. They also need to:
· Have a good work ethic and excellent skills in team work.
· Have a high personal integrity, good judgment, and self motivation
· Be willing to learn new techniques in sound engineering and must be open to change
Value of Technological Courses
The most probable reason why more and more people are applying for sound engineering positions even if the number of recording studios is going down is because of the increased availability of pertinent courses. Music engineering courses are now becoming a thing and they have become much more accessible to people due to lower costs and more opportunities for enrolment.
In fact, a lot of newly hired sound engineers have degree qualifications related to music technology. These sound engineers have studied and have gone through a lot of trainings. These further molded their skills and made them immediately job ready once they graduate from their courses.
However, due to a lack of job positions, recording studio managers are encouraging music engineering jobs to seek other opportunities instead of just sticking to thinking of getting a sound engineering job. Employers are encouraging applicants to be flexible, as there are a handful of other jobs related to the music industry that are available for them to try, if they are flexible enough. These include audio post-production for both film and television.
Tips When Considering a Career in the Recording Industry
If you are thinking of getting a job in the recording industry, there are things that you need to consider first, such as the following:
· The industry of music recording is an industry where the client’s interests are of the highest importance. This industry is not about you. You are going to be helping people who want to make their creations come to life bring their ideas to reality. You are going to be dealing with a lot of clients with a lot of requests with regard to how they are want their recording to sound. You have to be accommodating and friendly towards these clients.
· Being able to play instruments and read music is a plus. These skills are not at all necessary. However, if you really want to boost your chances of being hired for a job in the music industry, you must have a grasp of how to read music and you should at least be able to play one musical instrument. Being able to do both of these will surely impress and employer.
· Getting hired as a sound engineer requires more luck than anything else. This is something that you simply have to accept. In reality, there are more recording studios that are closing than opening, and those that are still open only accept engineers who are willing to work full time. Therefore, there is little chance that you will get a sound engineering position right away. Therefore, let yourself be open to different experiences, and be more flexible with your choices.