A Journey Through Delivering Happiness


One question I’m always asking myself is, “How can I be cultivating my own growth and development?” Working alongside our awesome crew at Prima offers plenty of opportunities to be sharpened, yet I’m only with our staff for 25% of the week. Being strategic with the remaining 75% of my time is invaluable if I’m going to grow and improve.

In an effort to always be learning I’m going to blog through “Delivering Happiness” by Tony Hsieh. I picked up this book a year ago and it sat on my shelf for too long. I suppose having two kids in diapers dampens one’s reading fervor. Time to blow the dust off the cover and dig in.

In the words of Stephen King, “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” Open a book and you’re opening a portal into another person’s mind. While I might not be able to sit down across the table with Tony, reading “Delivering Happiness” gives me the chance to keep him around as a literary conversation partner. That’s a treat I don’t want to miss out on.

Here are three reasons why I’m excited to go through “Delivering Happiness”:

1. Hsieh is an example to follow

If you don’t believe me then pick up this book and read the first chapter. Tony is a man on a mission, always thinking deeply and uniquely about how he can turn ideas into profit-generating businesses. I’m really excited to see how Hsieh pairs that entrepreneruial drive with a passion for customer service. His passion and get-it-done attitude is worth emulating!

2. Zappos is an example to follow

When it comes to creating a thriving customer-centered culture there are few who do it as well as Zappos. Their motto, “Delivering WOW Through Service” is a strong way to summarize what should be the aim of every business. Take a look at the rest of their core values and you’ll see why you should be keen to follow what Zappos is doing.

3. Everyone needs examples

I never want to get to the point where I feel like I’ve mastered customer service. The truth is, no one has mastered it. There is always more to learn, always more that can be done. One of the ways I avoid this pitfall is to constantly search for companies who are doing customer service better than we are. Finding these examples in the industry helps me set the bar higher for myself and our team. Tony and Zappos are great leaders here. I can’t wait to glean more from their model.

I’d love to have you follow along with me on this journey! Looking forward to learning and growing as we go.