Redesign Case Study: Carousell
Yay! I’m finally trendy and doing one of these redesign case studies. This one is going to be a redesign of a used-item marketplace app, Carousell.
My ultimate goal for this redesign:
to help sellers accept the ‘best’ offer.
Back when I was living in Boston, I had to sell all of my furniture when I was moving. It was not fun, especially when I knew my lease was ending super soon. I tried using used-item marketplace apps like Letgo, for instance. Although I got a few people interested in buying one of the shelves I posted, I found the experience kind of awkward. Some people gave me higher offers than the others, some just disappeared after I agreed on selling it to them, and some were just super creepy…
I ended up selling all my stuff through Craiglist.
Now, for the redesign…
The first thing I did was identifying what ‘best’ means. I created a survey of 2 questions and posted it on my Facebook. I got 27 responses over 2 days and here are the results:
I found that..
• Most people care about the price
• People would just sell the item to whoever contact them first (assuming that only if the price is reasonable)
- People don’t worry about delivery method much
I decided to do a usability test with some of my friends to learn more about the user’s pain points. I gave them a very specific prompt.
“You’ve put your used mouse up for sale for $30. People are interested in buying it. Who would you sell it to?”
Out of the 7 people..
7/7 : Age 25–30
4/7 : Have experienced selling things online before
6/7 : Would sell stuff they don’t use rather than just throw it away
I sorted the data I got from the test into important user journey steps for selecting who to sell the item to.
I plotted out the notes I took from the test and identify the common pain points for each of these pages.
I paid closest attention to the product offers page since it’s where the sellers make most of the decision of who to sell the item to. I made this empathy map to understand the users more.
Taking the information from the testing and analysis, I defined the user’s pain points as followings:
I went ahead and sketched out some alternative ideas. I validated the ideas with a few people I know, and made a higher resolution wireframes on Sketch.
With the wireframes, I made an interactive prototype on Invision and showed it to some people, both in person and through live screen sharing.
• The offer button on Product Profile page is now very easy to see
• The sort by filter on Product Offers page was not visible enough
- Too difficult to go to the product detail page if it’s a long chat
For the Product Offers page, my objective was to make the sort by filter as clear as possible for the new users. I prototyped and tested a few iterations until the users were able to efficiently sort the list by highest offer.
The new Invision prototype shows that out of 3 people..
100% : See right away of where to go see the offers
100% : Used the sort by filter options to choose the highest price
Here’s the link to Invision prototype: https://invis.io/5SB933N8U
Thanks for reading!