Pat Toomey’s Efforts to Support Law Enforcement
1. Thin Blue Line Act
Pat introduced this legislation that places harsher punishments on targeted violence against a law enforcement officer or first responder.
2. The Lifesaving Gear for Police Act
Pat has pushed back against the Obama administration’s efforts to restrict local police access to lifesaving equipment like riot shields and helmets.
3. Eric Williams Correctional Officer Protection Act
Pat introduced this bill to allow federal corrections officers to carry pepper spray on duty. Named after Officer Eric Williams who was brutally murdered by an inmate, it was signed into law on March 9, 2016.
4. Bulletproof Vest Partnership Grant Program Reauthorization Act
Pat co-sponsored this bipartisan bill which covers up to half the cost of bulletproof vests for law enforcement agencies.
5. Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu National Blue Alert Act
Pat co-sponsored this legislation, signed into law on May 19, 2015, that provides nationwide “Blue Alerts” when police are threatened or attacked.
6. Federal Public Safety Retirement Fairness Act
Pat introduced this effort to ensure public safety officers receive full and fair retirement pay. The measure was signed into law on June 29, 2015.
Other notable legislation introduced or co-sponsored by Pat Toomey:
• Don’t Tax Our Fallen Public Safety Heroes Act
• Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Act