So this is my secret list I have usually shared with friends visiting Berlin. I thought sharing a medium post is much more handy than giving people access to a public Evernote list. Caveat: The overview is certainly not comprehensive and biased by my personal taste.
Where to eat breakfast in Mitte?
- Distrikt Coffee: Good eggs, sandwiches, Müsli and coffee. Gets busy on weekends
- GoodQ: Small place and nothing fancy but good Bagels and Coffee.
- Cafe Bravo: Nice backyard in summer. Good eggs, coffee and atmosphere.
- Barcomi’s: A cake institution, great location and coffee
- Apart from Mitte. Meierei and NoFireNoGlory in Prenzlauerberg, LeBon, Lokal A.Horn in Kreuzberg are very good.
Coffee places in Mitte: All breakfast places above serve great coffee. Apart from that, Milchhalle, TheBarn, FiveElephant or Ben Rahim. Coffee Circle published a comprehensive overview of all places in Berlin. For cake
Where to eat dinner?
Checkout Per’s blog BerlinFoodStories. Some of my favourites:
- Very solid “casual to fine” dining is Lokal Mitte. Much more fancy is Pauly Saal. Both in and outside area are great but they switched to pricy tasting menus. (They also have a good bar). Not fancy but next door, is Mogg, small shop selling Pastrami sandwiches.
- Night kitchen has some very good (modern middle eastern) bar food. They run the same shop in Tel Aviv and just recently opened in Berlin.
- Best Italian places are Al Contadino (The same owner runs the less fancy Mozzarella Bar next door.) or Muret La Barba
- For Middle Eastern try Yarok (more of an Imbiss) or DaDa (more touristic and live music on weekends) or Hummus and friends.
- For Schnitzel go to Bötzow Privat or Alt Wien. Schwarzwaldstuben has a nice atmosphere and food. (Don’t go there for Schnitzel!)
- Good burger places are Shizo Burger (Asian inspired) or Tommis
Thats just an excerpt. There is definitely a lot more.