Team of Disciplina identified critical issues of product after a year of implementation at the major customers in Kazan:
- incorrect vision: find the worst employee in the company or department. However, the main advantage of the product for users is to give full information about employees and their workflows;
- important widgets and data are further than 3 clicks from the dashboard;
- Catalogue of activities is located deep in the Settings section;
- interface does not work on a large number of employees;
- Settings and Company’s structure is uncomfortable for companies with more than 100 employees.
Understanding of problems and competitor analysis
On basis of problems identified, audit and competitor analysis of interfaces I wrote and approved understanding of problems and the task to work. According to schedule I had to finish in 2 months. Spoiler: I did not succeed.
In the task to work we fantasized with CTO on the topic of deep machine learning to score efficiency of employees, as well as integration of product with variety of third-party solutions from CRM to call tracking. But these thoughts were not included in design and the first version of updated product.
Most product problems was associated with poorly built navigation. So the first thing I took up the UX-design of new structure and functional description of reports:
Catalog activities was most reworked, now it’s divided on catalogue, unknown activity and search module. From the old version I kept columns interface solution that is similar to one of the forms structure in Finder on macOS.
I worked in Sketch and Invision. The basis of product — presentation of data, so I concentrated on dashboard to approve the general concept and functionality. After a few iterations, we had come to solution that satisfied me and the whole team.
As a result, I did 4 iterations and 46 interface screens. Each iteration was accompanied by an interactive prototype in Invision for transitions and evaluation of key scenarios.
Moving into design stage took a whole month, as the team took a break for approval and testing users. Approved version became basis for main pages: Reports, Settings, Staff Schedules.
One of the findings was front-side panel, which allowed me not to use popups and dialogs.
After approving all scenarios and screens I prepared UI kit for front-enders. The next step will be supervision of implementation of new product version.
Thanks for watching
More work in Russian on my website: pavelkuligin.ru. Feel free to contact me by mail: email@example.com.