Friday — Week Eight

Today I finally felt good enough to leave the house and go to Makers!

It turns out people have been dropping like flies this week and I’m not the only one who has been off. I woke up this morning to a message from the guy I was supposed to be pairing with saying he was feeling awful, hadn’t slept and would probably not be in. This was at 3.45am. I could certainly feel his pain.

I was really lucky to get a chance to pair with a girl who I was really looking forward to pairing with on Wednesday, but missed the chance because I was off sick. That worked out quite well. We got to go over a few things that I had done, and it’s nice to have someone to talk through things with. It was also just really nice to not be sitting at my kitchen table, trying to power through and feeling awful.

Around lunch time I took a bit of a turn for the worse, but I stuck around since we were due to have a debugging challenge (and I wanted to redeem myself from last week!) Unfortunately, this debugging session was just not meant to be. The careers fair was still going at the time we were initially supposed to have it, and then when we got the room all set up, Github went down, and we couldn’t clone our repos. We’ll do it on Monday, but I was psyched to do it today.

We ended up getting a bit longer to brainstorm ideas for our project week next week, and there are a lot of good ones!

On Monday we will say which ones we are interested in, and our coach will put us into groups to work on something we’ve indicated we are interested in. It should be a fun week!

Now I’m at home in my comfy clothes and glad that I went in, but happy to be home. My stomach is not feeling great.

Things I learned

  • How to use Haml
  • The dash-rocket (->)
  • You can use dash — tab to print <% %> and equal — tab to print <%= %>in ERB files in Atom!

Things I want to focus on

  • Building Instagram this weekend

Things I’m struggling with

  • We had a weird issue where .length and .count were returning different numbers, which is absolutely strange. We had two entries, and when we used .count it would return zero, but when we used .length it would (rightfully) say 2. I really do want to figure out how and why.