Monday — Week Three
Mondays at Makers Academy are quite the change of pace; very different day to every other day of the week. Mondays are reserved for going through the weekend challenge with your pair, marking each other’s code via a rubric, refactoring, making it better, and watching a walkthrough of an experienced programmer going through the exact same challenge.
I think Mondays are good since they are less intense, but I probably would prefer to get started on the weekly challenge. I could just be too much of a nerd and so keen to get started on a new challenge…
On a social side of things, I think we are all getting to know each other quite a bit better, and things feel quite a bit less awkward. It’s now pretty nice to have conversations with people, not just awkward small talk! That said, we still talk code 90% of the time.
Things I Learned
- How to hide my personal details by using Environment Variables
- There are many different ways to do the same task and get the same result.
- Time is flying — the next cohort started the pre-course today!
Things I want to learn
- Thankfully not too much, but I’ve had the day to go through my entire code. Mainly just thinking things through before I start, a lot of times I come up with a complicated solution to a simple problem.
- Where to use a private method
Things I’m struggling with
- The fear that we are only focusing on Ruby, and starting web tomorrow!