Follow these quick cyber security tips for holiday shopping to stay #CyberSafe!
- Scrutinize any unexpected communications or solicitations requesting money or personal information received by email or advertised via social media.
- Research charities thoroughly before donating. Doing so not only protects you from scams, but also enables you to identify charities that do the most good with your donations.
- Verify the mobile apps you use for your holiday shopping. Be wary of apps with lots of negative reviews, spelling errors and pop-ups.
- Be aware of phishing schemes that mimic shipping confirmations and status updates. These schemes increase during the holiday season.
- Pay with a credit card instead of a debit card as credit card companies more easily enable you to dispute fraudulent charges.
- Do not click links from emails or websites to visit online retailers. Instead, type their URL directly into your browser.
- Review your bank and credit card statements closely for any suspicious or unexpected transactions.
- Be wary of free Wi-Fi during the holiday travel season.