Reasons to be Cheerful
I was just out walking my dog in the pouring rain, traipsing through puddles as he carefully tiptoed around them. Sometimes, when we’re out for a stroll, I discover I’m deliriously happy. Here are some of the things I’m happy about.
- The trees. They’re everywhere in this city. Huge old things with gnarled trunks and stubborn roots.
- This season. And then winter, when the city is all ours.
- Being warm and safe and free.
- Having this guy in my life.
- My health. Being fitter and stronger than ever.
- My education. Learning, everyday.
- My daily commute, from bed to desk in just 10 seconds.
- My job (most of the time — which is good enough for me).
There was a time, not so long ago, when I wouldn’t have dared think these thoughts, let alone write them down — for fear of tempting fate. But slowly something changed, and it has to do with meditation. I don’t sit down and meditate every day, or even every week. Meditation to me currently is more a state of mind. A realisation that there is only this moment. That everything passes, the good and the bad. The present is all I have, and right now, it’s pretty damn good.