Choosing the right solar panel installer emerges as the most challenging step in switching to solar power. Indeed, given the profusion of solar panel companies and installers in, say Los Angeles itself, and everyone claiming to be ‘the best’, homeowners have to carefully consider various factors to be able to arrive at the right decision.
Following are a few pointers on the same:
Recommendations: The first step is always to seek suggestions from family, friends and other acquaintances. Wherever you spot solar panels on the roof, do not hesitate to inquire about the owners’ experience with the installers. Supplement this with an internet research of local solar companies and sift through the consumer reviews about the quality of work and level of customer service. The market reputation itself will enable you to narrow down the choices considerably.
- Multiple quotes: Seek quotes from a couple of the top solar installers on your list. The quotes should take your average energy usage and the local electricity rates into account. Clearly inquire if the quotes are comprehensive and will not have additional charges for cables, scaffolding or even labor later on. Apart from a comparison of prices, the quotes will also give you an idea about the responsiveness and reliability of the company.
- License: Check if the solar installation company is appropriately licensed in your state and also suitably certified and insured. This will be the assurance that the solar panels will be carefully and accurately installed by professional experts.
- Experience: Knowledge and skills matter and so does experience. You are looking for an established company and can affirm the same by checking the installers’ track record of work. Ask to view the solar power systems installed for previous clients.
- References: Insist that the installers provide references and testimonials of their previous works. Contact the references to get an idea about how the installation was actually handled.
- Brands: The solar panel installation company should offer a broad range of latest and advanced solar panels. The consultants should be able to advise you about the different types of solar panels and the benefits and drawbacks of each.
- Home visit: The installers cannot decide which solar panels are best for you merely by talking about your requirements. They should volunteer to visit your house and evaluate the site before offering suggestions.
- Warranty: Inquire about the types of warranties that come with the solar panel equipment. The installer should offer both performance and workmanship warranty. The former ranges from 25 to 30 years while the latter is usually 10 to 12 years.
In sum, choosing the right solar panel installation company is crucial for the success of your solar power system. Quick decisions are often regretted later. Making a well-informed and educated choice about solar panel installation will ensure that you never have to worry about what is happening on your roof!