PMPeople Business Model
PMPeople is the most relevant internet tool to manage projects professionally. There are plenty of collaborative tools to manage tasks, messages, notes, videos, files, emails, etc. Apart from these, project management professionals need tools to manage projects professionally, not simply as task coordination, but as a proactive management activity aimed to finish projects on time, on budget, on quality, anticipating problems, engaging stakeholders, enhancing governance, tracking team and procurement activity, etc. Some standards –PMBOK, PRINCE2, PM2, etc.– tell us what to do to manage projects professionally.
PMPeople is properly a PPM tool. PPM stands for Project Portfolio Management. Some PPM tools are Microsoft Project Server, Clarity, Primavera, Planview, etc. Most of them lack basic features like control accounts, scope and cost baselines, performance reviews on different status dates, etc. We think they don’t implement the standards effectively. They don’t distinguish among the different roles in project management and they are not been designed for mobile.
PMPeople has 2 business lines: B2C and B2B.
Business To Consumer (B2C)
PMPeople users start for free, managing their projects in the organization “PMPeople”. They can manage also programs and portfolios. All features are included, except roles PMO and Resource Manager. We get revenue here just from advertising. Many users keep here forever. Virality is our main goal here, but also data gathering relating to project performance as a basis for future BI or AI.
When users need to keep project management activity under a separate organization, not the shared PMPeople, they can always create a new one. All the management activity can be automatically moved from PMPeople to the new organization, starting a 20 days trial. If time expires without paying, all data is moved back to free organization PMPeople. Users can create as many premium organizations as they need.
Premium organizations get rid of ads and they can easily manage their own specific data, such as business units, portfolios, programs, clients, sellers, calendars, reports, etc.
There are many other advantages of premium organizations, including:
- Organization owner can administer users and roles.
- There can be roles PMO –Project Management Officers– who can see and manage all project details in all business units.
- There can be roles RM –Resource Managers– to control who is assigned to what project.
Organization owners pay premium seats 20€/user/month, taxes excluded. Users with more than one role count as one seat. Yearly payments save 2 months. Some roles are always free.
Resellers can sell premium organizations to organization owners. B2C resellers get a percentage of income during 3 years.
Business To Business (B2B)
Organizations with many projects require consulting and implementation projects to adapt PMPeople to their specific needs. PMPeople can be deployed on premises if needed. A small team of consultants, in less than 3 months, can set up the tool with the upgraded project management processes, and provide training and continuous support.
Since projects are in the core of enterprise management systems, this projects usually include integrations with other information systems like:
- ERP: Enterprise Resource Planning
- CRM: Customer Relationship Management
- BI: Business Intelligence
- SCM: Supply Change Management
- PLM: Product Lifecycle Management
- PMS: Procurement Management System
- BIM: Building Information Management
These projects can be executed remotely by consultants with little on site support. B2B resellers get a percentage of project billable hours.
- All medium-big companies, in every industry, need professional management for projects, programs –coordinated projects– and portfolios –projects groups.
- As of 2012 there were about 16.5 million Project Managers in the world. In 2027, employers will need nearly 90 million individuals in project management-oriented roles.
- Globally there are over 900,000 PMI certified professionals and 500,000+ members of PMI, with or without credentials. PMI, USA based, is the most important project management professional association.
- There are currently over 300,000 certified by IPMA –International Project Management Association– based in Switzerland.
- Almost 1,000,000 PRINCE2 certified, the credential by the OGC –Office of Government Commerce– at the United Kingdom.
- European Union is enhancing their free standard PM2 to unify all projects funded, to promote a project management standard for free to public or private organizations inside EU.
Following there is a 30' video explaining what is PMPeople tool, how it fits in PPM market and what is its differentiation (set English subtitles on):
Do you want to get familiar with PMPeople tool? Just take these quizzes:
PMPeople Quiz #1: ORGANIZING PROJECTS
PMPeople Quiz #2: PROJECTS INITIATION
PMPeople Quiz #3: MANAGE THE PROJECT SCOPE
PMPeople Quiz #4: MANAGE THE PROJECT SCHEDULE
PMPeople Quiz #5: MANAGE THE PROJECT COST