Getting More Out of QuickBooks
Can you get more out of QuickBooks? The answer is almost always yes.
And it’s yes whether you are managing QuickBooks yourself or if you have a firm like ours doing it for you. It all comes down to training and investing time in practice.
There are many online resources and live people who provide training, but here are a few areas I’d recommend you pay close attention to.
CUSTOMIZE THE ICON BAR
I see this tip everywhere and it’s one of the best. Take a few minutes to add the icons for things you do all the time. This will save you time by eliminating the need to search through sub-menus for common tasks.
LEARN YOUR KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
I’ll say it again, learn your keyboard shortcuts! Whether you’re creating invoices, entering transactions or reconciling accounts, using keyboard shortcuts can really cut down on time and mouse fatigue. Here are some helpful common shortcuts:
- Ctrl+A: Display your chart of accounts
- Ctrl+F: Find a transaction
- Ctrl+I: Create a new invoice
- Ctrl+J: Display your customer job list
- Ctrl+M: Memorize the selected transaction
- Ctrl+N: Create a new XXX (invoice, bill, check, list item)
- Ctrl+Q: View a QuickReport on the selected transaction
- Ctrl+T: View a list of your memorized transactions
- Ctrl+W: Write a new check
FILTER YOUR REPORTS
Creating customized standard reports ahead of time will help you keep your information better organized make it easy to access. Reports can provide you with up to the minute analysis and forecasts that can keep you ahead of the curve.
I strongly encourage you to take the time to learn/practice this stuff. Getting better at using your QuickBooks tool will give you more time to focus on more important business decisions.
Originally published at LedgerGeneral.com