22 things people have, like, you know, realized in 2016
In January 2016, Kylie Jenner — lipstick innovator, snapchat sensation, teen who didn’t know what a chicken is , very poignantly predicted 2016 to be the “year of realizing stuff”. So wise beyond her years! As this monstrosity of a year that has rekt our emotions and teased the fabric of truth and logic comes to an end, I asked my friends what they like, you know, realized, in terms of stuff, and like things this year. This is a non comprehensive list of things I got in response (edited for clarity where necessary)!
- My vote doesn’t count!
- My vote does count?!
- Alan Rickman’s silent but significant contribution to film.
- It can be uncomfortable supporting Johnny Depp’s career knowing his history of abuse with Amber Heard.
- “Curry” is not a real Indian food (SIDE NOTE — YES! THANK YOU! IT IS AN IMPERIALISTIC MINIMIZATION OF THE VARIETY AND DEPTH OF INDIAN CUISINE!)
- Turning off notifications on your phone can be a peaceful experience and can soothe anxiety!
- Your parents, as much as they love you, can be toxic af.
- I LOVE MY IUD!
- Tinder bots are our generation’s “sexy singles 1.2 miles from you — wanna fuck?” pop-ups.
- My Myers-Briggs personality MEANS NOTHING TO ME anymore.
- It’s so much easier to take a Buzzfeed quiz to find out which discarded Ben&Jerry’s flavor you are than to study for finals.
- As a society, we did not appreciate Leonard Cohen enough.
- SOUTHWEST LETS YOU FLY 2 BAGS FOR FREE??
- Standing desks are the BOMB.
- I realized I don’t understand the electoral college.
- I didn’t do enough for us to elect the first woman as President of the USA.
- I LEARNED SO MUCH ABOUT EMAILS AND SERVERS, GAHDAMN.
- My zodiac is a Sagittarius by birth, but I associate with Libra so much more.
- Memes give me life and I am seriously considering dropping my therapist for a healthy supply of dank memes.
- I actually do love my body — bumps, cellulose, adult acne and all!
- 2016 really WAS the year of realizing things…and stuff. And maybe a little bit of something also?
- Sure, I realized this year sucks.
I might keep updating this list as people get in touch with me — 2016 is far from over, and the rate at which we are moving, we will have prompted a lot more introspection and like, realization, of, you know, things by the end of the year. Hang in there, lovelies! Thank you for your solidarity in reading this list and reminiscing about the year that was.