Pittsburgh Roofing Design Guidelines
Every town or region has a set of standards to be followed that are authorized by the government or the department responsible for construction activities within the area AND as per the conditions of the surroundings. The designers and architects have to keep these standards in mind so as to get the permissions for their building to be constructed. Likewise, the Pittsburgh roofing contractors and companies have to keep certain design guidelines in mind while working on the roofs of any building:
· Roofing forms and roof lines are to be broken into a sequence of levels and pitches to reflect the irregular forms of the natural features of the surrounding. The use of long, unbroken and linear roof lines is highly discouraged.
· A consistency of roof design and pitch among each roof component.
· If there is any change in the height of the eaves, it should be marked with plan offsets so as to make the transitions between the components of the buildings.
· The surface of the roof must be consistent in accordance with the style of the building.
· The materials to be used for roofing purpose include: fired flat tile, clay, wood shingles, concrete flat tile products, and slate or cedar sheets. If you wish to use any other material, it is to be first subjected to the reviewing process by the Architectural Review Committee (ARC) of Pittsburgh.
· The material should not contain gravels or composition shingles.
· When talking about the color of the roofing, one should be using natural earth tone and it should be ensured that it complements the color of the main structure.
· The vent stacks and pipes must match the color of the walls or the roof.
· Introduction of skylights is permissible, and the contractor must make sure to include it as an integral part of the roof.
· The material for making the frame of the skylight must be bronze, should be anodized or else colored so as to match the color of the roof adjacent to it.
· Skylights are not to be given on the front elevation of the building.
· Antennas and air conditioning units are strictly prohibited to be installed on the roof.
· In case you have to integrate solar equipment into the roof design, it should be done in terms of color and placement, and also it should not be visible from the street or to the adjoining residential buildings.
· The solar facility should be integrated as such that it complements the plan of the building on a whole.
· The solar energy equipment shall also be approved by the ARC.
While hiring a roofing contractor in Pittsburgh, you should make sure that they are experienced and hold an expertise in their field of work. They should be aware of the above mentioned architectural guidelines and restrictions as well as should be innovative and come up with impressive solutions. These guidelines are set to assure the compatibility of the roofing with the natural conditions as well as maintain the individual identity of the city.
For more information on Pittsburgh roofing companies, visit Prescottroofing.com
Chris Schmider is associated with Wm. Prescott Roofing & Remodeling, Inc., a commercial roofing company in Pittsburgh, and has a wide experience in the roofing industry. He shares his experiences and knowledge about the how trends are going in the new roofing systems via his articles and blogs.