10 Ideas for Welcoming a New Employee
- Give new employees a project to get a signature/comment book signed by existing employees. Existing employees are all aware of the tradition and are expected to welcome the request as a chance to network.
- New joiners are allowed to choose what project they first want to work on, within guidelines such as how long it takes and necessary support staff.
- Once an employee joins, they are allowed to design the swag that the next person receives as a pay-it-forward system.
- The first 1on1 after joining is always with the CEO.
- New employees are given wall space to design and decorate an area of their choosing.
- New employees receive a 3D-printed statue of themselves.
- An all-hands company meeting is arranged where the new joiner can speak to the entire company and ask questions.
- The new joiner’s profile is shared in the internal company news network where people can comment and like the post.
- New employees can choose out of a catalog to order their swag or benefits such as support for their interests in education and/or business wear.
- The new joiner's skills and previous achievements are shared so people can contact that person to collaborate.
10 x 10 Exercise
■ 10 ideas in 10 minutes. Daily.
■ Post your ideas in the comments or share future topics to ideate together.
■ 10 minutes not enough? Get stupid with your ideas. Anything goes.
■ Inspired by James Altucher.
Alice laughed: “There’s no use trying,” she said; “one can’t believe impossible things.”
“I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said the Queen.
- Lewis Carroll