- Go shoe shopping in the late afternoon — children’s feet often get a little swollen and its good to get school shoes fitted when your child’s feet are at their biggest.
- Make sure both your child’s feet are measured in-store by a shoe fitter.
- LENGTH: It is common for one foot to be a different size to the other, if this is the case (don’t worry it’s quite common!), then go up with the larger size to ensure the larger foot isn’t cramped. Make sure there is a child’s thumb width between the end of their shoe and the end of the longest toe — check for the toe wriggle, they should be able to move their toes freely.
- SOLE: Feel the sole of the shoe — it should not twist, it needs to provide shock absorption to the balls of the feet.
- WIDTH: the shoes should not constrict the toes or the sides of your feet. Make sure the widest part of the child’s foot corresponds with the widest part of the shoe
- HEEL FIT: The shoe heel should fit grip comfortably around the heel.
- ANKLE GRIP: Ensure that the shoes grip the ankle but don’t cause any rubbing against it.
- FASTENING MECHANISM: The fastening mechanism (buckles, shoe laces, velcro straps) of the shoe need to be adequate to allow for adjustment and support.
- If your child is complaining of pain in the feet, heel, legs or knee — have these checked out.
- Last but not least make sure your child is comfortable in the shoes! They should be able to walk around naturally without altering their walking pattern.
- Don’t buy slip on shoes as a long-term option — these make your muscles work harder and children will often scrunch their toes to help keep the shoes on and lead to pain.
- Don’t buy school shoes that are too small or too big — small shoes will lead to cramping of the foot, while too large shoes can be a tripping hazard, or cause rubbing of the foot with the shoe.
We hope these tips help you find the right shoes for your children. If you experience trouble finding the right back to school shoes, visit our Brunswick or South Melbourne clinic and see a Podiatrist to help you get back on track. You can give us a call to make an appointment or Book Online