March 30/2016

So, it’s been a long time since I’ve posted about what’s been going on with the business, so time for an update!

Firstly, Excel is incredibly difficult! It is for sure the part I hate the most out of everything so far. It took a few days for me to figure out how to calculate the nutritional content. Luckily, my roommate Erin made a chart on excel where I could input each ingredient and all its information then enter the value I’m using in the recipe to tell me what it’s exact value will be. Now as for figuring out the cost for my product I found an online site cost food book that is really easy to use but very tedious. These are very important steps in what I’m doing as I can now see what i would like to improve in the nutritional value and what I need to work on to get my cost down.

As for packaging, I decided to try U-line. I ordered 2 different types of polyethylene bags. One size for the bars and one size for the bites, which I’ve decided to sell in twos. For the time being I’m going to print the labels at home on sticker paper from staples. The bars are still in the test phase so for now the Lagree West logo will be printed on the front. We

I made the decision to make all the products gluten free and dairy free. I’ve had issues with digestion for years so it’s to my personal benefit to make a product free from these. It also expands my potential clientele allowing me to reach people who have dietary restrictions. Plus, the product tastes great so people who don’t care about gluten free and dairy free can still enjoy them.

Upon a suggestion from my parents friend Andi I got a dehydrator. This has made all the difference with my product. I am doing all my own fruit for the bars and bits so there is no sugar added to any of the fruit. All natural and the dehydrating process concentrates the fruit flavor adding to the products flavor profile!