Sweet & Salty Dark Chocolate Brownies (Recipe)
These are the perfect sweet & salty treat for any day of the week! Layers of browned butter dark chocolate brownie batter, soft maple salted caramel, more batter then topped with dark chocolate chunks and crunchy sea salt. Better enjoyed when fully cooled, these are so delicious you may not make it that far.
Ingredients (makes 16, 2" brownies)
3 oz AP flour
.75 oz sesame or almond flour
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
0.4 oz cocoa powder
8 1/2 oz dark chocolate chunks (60–70%), divided
4.75 oz browned butter (from about 6oz total)
4.75 oz sugar
1.75 oz brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the caramel layer:
4 oz granulated sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 oz water
3.75 oz cream
3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1. Brown the butter in a small saucepan (here’s a good demo: https://food52.com/blog/6076-how-to-brown-butter); place 6.5 ounces of the chocolate chunks in a medium heat proof bowl. Pour browned butter over chocolate and let sit for about 1 minute while the butter melts the chocolate. Stir with a whisk until melted, a few lumps are ok. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. In another mixing bowl, combine flours, cocoa, and salt; set aside. Add sugars to browned butter & chocolate mixture, and beat well with a wooden spoon. Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each one. Add vanilla and stir. Add in flour/cocoa mixture and stir until combined. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 300 degrees. Line 8"x8" baking pan with parchment paper.
4. To make caramel filling, place sugar, water, and maple syrup in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until bubbly and temperature on candy thermometer reaches 260’. Add cream and salt, mixture will bubble vigorously. Cook until 240’ is reached on candy thermometer (do not exceed 248’). Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Spread half of the brownie batter into prepared pan. Drizzle caramel over batter (keep away from sides of pan). Spoon remaining brownie batter over caramel and spread out evenly. Sprinkle top with remaining 2 ounces of chocolate chunks and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Bake at 300’ for 30 minutes, rotating every 10 minutes. Let cool completely. Refrigerate until firm before cutting.
6. For extra deliciousness, top with a scoop of homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!
xo, Marisa (The Radical Cupcake)