Trump’s Executive Order Suspending Refugee Entry
By now, many of you have read the stories of the people who are being detained in airports around the US and then told they must return to the country they just left. For those who haven’t, you can see the NY Times article here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/us/refugees-detained-at-us-airports-prompting-legal-challenges-to-trumps-immigration-order.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
Even with lawyers at the ready, with Trump’s order holding for 120 days, many people who already have valid Visas and green cards and their families have been put in jeopardy. There are several ways you can help right now.
- Go sign up as a volunteer with the International Refugee Assistance Project at https://refugeerights.org/hope-help/volunteersinterns/ . If you are a lawyer willing to volunteer your time to help or someone who is fluent in Arabic, Farsi, Pashto, Somali, and Kurdish, please consider the Intake Volunteer position as well.
- Call the president out on Twitter @realDonaldTrump and tell why you disagree with his actions.
- Write the president at the White House: The White House. 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. Washington, DC 20500.
- Email the president through his contact me at https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact. Inundate the president with how unlawful this behavior is and that you demand people entering out borders be treated better.
- Call your representatives at 202–224–3121 and use a personal story or this script provided by International Rescue Committee: “I’m your constituent from [City, State], and I support refugee resettlement in the U.S. I am strongly opposed to the announcement from President Trump that would slash refugee admissions, grind all resettlement to a halt, stop resettling refugees from certain countries, and preference religious minorities. This discriminatory announcement flies in the face of core American values and this country’s founding principles. The people it is already effecting, who are being held at US airports with valid Visas and green cards is unacceptable. It does not reflect the welcome for refugees I see in my community every day or the way we should respond as a country. Please urge President Trump to abandon this plan and do everything in your power to stop this.”
Let’s do what we can to save who we can as quickly as possible.