- Vertical product management means that you’re an expert in one particular field.90% of all the Product Manager roles are more like this. The bigger the company, the more vertical the role.
- In horizontal product management, a product manager is responsible for the entire horizontal product. In a horizontal product manager role, you get to work with many more teams and opportunities.
Vertical Product Management in a nutshell:
Deep knowledge expert.
Focused on one problem.
Work with your team.
The face of the product.
Horizontal Product Management in a nutshell:
Fix problem in entire stack.
Work with many teams.
The face of the market.
The 10 Commandments of Product Management:
- Know your target market and customer.
- Empower and unblock your team.
- Manage by questions, not by commands.
- Be clear and precise.
- Communicate openly and frequently.
- Follow the team’s rules and processes.
- Get feedback (from other product managers, clients, team…)
- Maintain a roadmap and a prioritized backlog.
- Be positive.
- Get shit done.