You Have a Brain, For Heaven’s Sake Use All of It
This is post 4 of 4: Series on methods of Solving Problems in complex world.
Post 1: Help: How do I get out of this Mess?
Post 2: Scientific Method: A Saner Way to Go?
Post 3: Off the Wall Solutions
Hybrid: a blend of two diverse cultures or traditions
The insight that a combination of rational and intuitive methods can provide a powerful method seems so obvious. Yet, what comes as a surprise is that this thought has been canvassed many times in the history of thought.
Nature itself meant the whole brain to be used rather than either the left or the right half.
There are a few methodologies that have emerged that propose to marry the analytical prowess of a scientist with the perceptiveness of the artist. It proposes to combine the best features of both.
The elements of a hybrid method are:
- Recognize a Need.
- Define a Problem- Description and study of the problem.
- Develop an Initial Solution- Based upon known knowledge in the field.
- Divergent Thinking- Apply intuitive methods to develop other novel solutions unencumbered by logic or practicality. Let the mind work on the problem. This step is needed if the initial solutions are falling short of meeting all expectations. (Related Post: Off the Wall Solutions)
- Convergent Thinking- Group “solutions” from the intuitive method into alternatives of solving the problem. This provides yet other “novel” approaches to solving the problem in addition to the usual standard ones.
- Develop Methods of Testing these “Novel” Alternatives.
- Apply methods and Test Feasibility.
- Select the Best Alternative.
The steps are:
- Opportunity Identification
- Opportunity Evaluation
- Opportunity Enhancement
- Resource Acquisition
The time available, cost, familiarity and other factors may dictate the depth of each step. The Innovation needs may be from conservative, routine and incremental all the way to radical, speculative and disruptive.
Other methods are:
- Business Model Canvas: is a widely used strategic management and lean start-up template for developing new or documenting existing business models . It is a visual chart with elements describing a firm’s or product’s value proposition, infrastructure, customers, and finances. It assists firms in aligning their activities by illustrating potential trade-offs.
- Experience Engineering: Unconscious thought is at the root of how customers experience and engage with any brand. Experience Engineering solution integrates art and science. In it they examine every aspect of the customer experience — from brick and mortar to the digital customer experience and everything in between — to gain the clarity that only comes from a deep understanding beyond what can readily be seen.
- Alignor: provides performance improvement solutions utilizing the interest-based approach to negotiation, persuasion and leadership development.
The more tools we have in our tool box and know how to use, the more is our likelihood of being nimble and flexible.Flexibility will allow us to bend by the forces of change but not break.
That is how you get out of the mess.
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
Dr. Rajiv Tandon is an Entrepreneur, Educator and Mentor. He facilitates peer groups for CEOs of fast-growing companies in Minnesota. To learn more, sign up to get the email newsletter.