Glass of water anyone?

Warning: you should probably read this if you’re still using tap water.

Photo by Imani on Unsplash

Ever stopped to consider where your water comes from or where it has been? Most people haven’t because we have become accustomed to the theory that “clean water must mean clean water.” But just how clean is it?

Clean is a term that has become very subjective in water filtration circles and after speaking to Gilbert Lara, Operations Manager for Nuvia Water Technologies, Inc, in Corona California, I felt this was a topic that should be expanded.

Our water is harnessed by the California Aqueduct, which draws water from several sources such as lakes, river, reservoirs and deltas. Over 70% of our water coming from the San Joaquin River Basin and The Colorado River, with the other 30% being home grown and captured from our rain and snow.

California Aqueduct (Mile 236)

Once the water company gets that water they have the responsibility of filtering it to some degree before you and your family uses it. The water company, in short, processes your water through large sand filters to remove debris such as branches and trash, as well as dead animals that may have fallen in our water ways. They then chemically treat the water with chlorine and ammonia to kill bacteria and viruses that may be present and, finally, send it off to your home.

Now Nature gives us an amazing way of cleaning our water that we all learned as kids in school called the Hydrological Cycle. This is where our water evaporates into the atmosphere, separating itself from impurities, condensates in the clouds and precipitates down in the form of rain and snow. But our pure water is short-lived because it instantly becomes contaminated once again as rain falls.

The hydrological cycle

Water has a very unique characteristic: it is nature’s solvent! This means water cleans by dissolving everything it comes in contact with and takes traces of what it comes in contact with wherever it goes. So before that water comes into contact with you, it’s important to know what else it comes into contact with beforehand.

Your water, as it falls from the clouds, becomes acid rain from the pollutants in our air such as mold, smog and byproducts from our cars and industry. Once our water hits the ground, it also passes through petroleum products like gas and oil that are leaked from our cars. Here in California we also grow agriculture and livestock, so your water passes through herbicides and pesticides, as well as, nitrates from animal and possibly even human waste.

“white sheep on grass” by Levin on Unsplash

Yes that’s right, even human waste…. When we flush our toilets, where do you think that water goes? It goes to a treatment plant where they filter it for paper products and feces and then heavily chlorinate it to kill bacteria. After, the water is discharged back into larger bodies of water where it can reenter the water table…. Areas that are used for discharge vary, such as oceans, lakes, rivers and reservoirs according to a recent NBC report.

Now before we start thinking that this is all some great conspiracy theory and the city, state and federal government are getting over on us, they do a great job of getting water to our homes without bacteria and viruses, water that is “potable”.

It is important to note that 90% of the water provided by the water companies goes to industrial and commercial customers. That is water that is used for things like farming, irrigation, fighting fires and creating energy. Residential customers only make up 10% of the water usage and it is typically used for cleaning, bathing and flushing, with less than 1% being consumed when we cook, wash our fruits and vegetables, make our coffee and tea’s or when we use fridge filters.

“white ceramic sink beside window” by Holger Link on Unsplash

The water companies know that we have become consumers of bottled water, to the tune of 13 billion dollars per year. Seeing these stats make it pretty easy to see why the water company doesn’t purify our water to a higher degree. Economically, it just wouldn’t make sense and the cost of that pure water would be comparable to a second mortgage.

Water quality experts highly recommend testing the water your family is drinking, bathing, cleaning and flushing with. Nuvia tests for the purity of the water you are consuming, the chemical content of your water, as well as debris levels and hardness. They also do a good job of explaining how water affects your personal health, the health of your home, and the health of your pocketbook. It’s amazing to learn that it, in the long run, it’s actually cheaper to filter your water.

To contact Nuvia for a free in home evaluation, contact them at 951–734–7400 or visit their website at nuviawater.com