Baby food recipe #1 : Little millet, carrot & moong dal rice
Are you on a constant quest for a no mash and easy lunch recipe (especially travel friendly) for your baby?
If so here’s one. I feed this recipe to my daughter since her 10th month.
- Little millet / saamai -1 1/2 tbsp
- moong dal / Split green gram -1/2 tbsp
- Water -1 cup (roughly 3 parts for millets, 2 parts for dal)
- shallots / pearl onions -3 finely chopped
- garlic -3 pods crushed
- carrot -1/2 grated
- green chili -1/2 inch
- turmeric powder -a pinch
- asafoetida -a pinch
- salt -as required
- ghee -as required
- Wash and soak little millet and dal in 1 cup of water for at least 15 minutes.
2. Add the below ingredients to the rice dal mixture.
. green chili
. turmeric powder
3. Place the bowl in a pressure cooker.
Place the cooker on high flame without the weight. Once steam escapes place the weight and simmer the flame. Let it cook for 8–9 minutes. Switch off the flame and let the cooker rest for 10 minutes.
4. Add required ghee and salt and mix.
Voila!!! Serve your baby fresh and warm food.
- Add salt and ghee at the end after cooking as it makes the dal and rice hard if added prior cooking.
- You could add roast and ground pepper and jeera/cumin powder(1:2 ratio) at the end instead of green chili.
- You could add a 1/4 tomato to the preparation however you need to reduce the quantity of water a bit.
- You could add hot water to make the consistency runnier.
- Do not place ingredients directly into the cooker as it might burn them.
- You could add different kinds of veggies that go well with dal to make the preparation nutritious. If you do, make sure to add an extra tablespoon of water to be on the safer side.
Happy baby equals happy mom ❤
Take care guys.