My Top 10 Reasons for preferring InfoSWMM over SWMM 5 based on my experience
My Top 10 Reasons for preferring InfoSWMM over SWMM 5 based on my experience: Note — this is an update of my Innovyze blog from a few years ago http://blog.innovyze.com/2014/07/09/top-ten-advantages-of-infoswmm-over-swmm5-for-modelling/ My mini bio from twitter is Product Sector Leader with @Innovyze for InfoSWMM / InfoSewer, 45+ years w/ SWMM3/4/5! 11+ Years w/ @Innovyze! 8 years @CDMSmith 9 years w/ XPSWMM 17 years @UF So there is a LOT of SWMM experience going back to age 17. I will also mention that i am still a daily user of SWMM 5 and still program in the C code of SWMM5 so these observations are based on daily usage.
These are the top ten expanded reasons I have found over the last ten years for using InfoSWMM over the SWMM 5 GUI. I will start at the beginning that all of these fantastic features in InfoSWMM are due to our wonderful programmers in Monrovia (CA), Broomfield(CO) and Wallingford (UK).
- Scenario, Database and Facility Managers, InfoSWMM allows you to have present and future scenarios and a facility manager so that it is easy to have active and inactive sections of your network, make smaller networks and simulate only portions of your network for calibration or design. Domain and Selection Sets for editing and output graphics. Two hundred plus tools for Elevation Extraction, Pond Extraction, Data Inference, Data Connectivity, etc. based on the proven technology and creativity from the past 22 years of InfoWater development at Innovyze.
- The Tools of InfoSWMM and construction of InfoSWMM are based on almost 22 years of InfoWater Arc Map development; you are buying tools that have been proven across platform and modeling engines for many years.
- Database editing of Network Elements and Output Files in either the Attribute Browser, DB Tables or the Output Report Manager Tables and Graphs.
- Arc Map Attribute Table Editing and Layer Properties along with Python scripts in ArcTool Box plus all of the Arc Map editing tools to alter, edit or expand your modeling network.
- Many output graphs and map displays along with editable DB tables of the SWMM5 engine reports for Subcatchments, Links, Nodes, LID Units for all scenarios and calibration graphs. You can edit and graph each report or graph parameter using many Statistical Functions and Graphical Shapes.
- Output Relates, Data Base Queries and Output Statistical Tables for up to 500 Network Elements for Continuous Simulations. You can analyze up to 1000 years of output for up to 1 million node, link, and subcatchment elements.
- Domain, Selection Set for Output File Sizes, 32 and 64 Bit Engines, Simulation Manager, Batch Runs and Multi-Core Processing for the Simulation Engine. Domains, in particular, are a fantastic way to edit, view and organize your model input and output.InfoSWMM 2D, InfoSWMM SFEM, InfoSWMM CapPlan, InfoSWMM connection to SWMMLive, InfoSWMM connection to InfoMaster for CAP Planning. InfoSWMM 2D is based on the Innovyze InfoWorks ICM 2D output and engine with the extra ability to edit and create polygons directly in Arc Map. SWMMLive is an AddOn that allows you to use InfoSWMM or SWMM5 models inside of Innovyze ICMLive.
- Genetic Algorithm Suite Addons for Calibration parameter estimation for surface hydrology, subsurface hydrology, infiltration, pumps, wet wells, links and the RTK parameters in RDII hydrology. Genetic Algorithm Suite Addons for the Design of Pump, Links, Wet Wells and Other Physical parameters in your model.
- Other Suite Addons for Watershed Generation, Dry Weather Flow Estimation, Conduit Storage Synthesis, Pond Design Manager, Risk Assessment Manager, Google Earth Net View, InfoSWMM 2D, InfoSWMM Sustain for Green Infrastructure Optimization and Capacity Planning
- Many Exchange tools for ODBC, GIS Gateway, Import, and Export Manager along with very good SWMM 5 import and InfoSewer direct import. You can import XLS, CSV, Shapefiles are well as export these and other formats. You can also import and export models from our other products such as InfoSewer, InfoMaster Sewer and InfoWorks_ICM using SWMM, CSV, GeoDatabases or Shapefiles.