JNU debate Timeline in five points
With all the controversy surrounding the Jawaharlal Nehru University for the past few weeks, it is easy to lose track of where it all started and why. This article outlines five important points from the whole JNU issue timeline to know what all the ruckus is about.
- Basics first, where did this all start? Earlier, students from JNU organised an event on Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, who was convicted and hanged in 2013. The students called this hanging a ‘judicial killing’.
2. This started a huge row, with members of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) members calling for expulsion of the participants, and also said that anti-India slogans were shouted at the college.
3. Now, the twist came when the students who organised event said none of them were among those who shouted anti-India slogans, which the ABVP claimed as false.
4. Later, sedition charges were slapped on the JNU students’ union president Kanhaiya Kumar and some others by the Delhi Police and they were sent to judicial custody.
5. Kanhaiya Kumar, while being taken to court, was manhandled, further infuriating his supporters who say that this indicates that freedom of speech has been compromised, while the politicians continued to take political mileage out of this. Kumar has since been released on bail but this issue is nowhere near being closed as of yet.