Introducing Gab.ai: The People First Social Network
Introducing Gab .ai: The People First Social Network
What is Gab?
gab ɡab/ informal verb
talk, typically at length, about trivial matters.
Gab is a people first social network
-Users can post “Gabs,” which have a 300 character limit
-Users can follow other Gabbers and be followed back
-Users can upvote or downvote Gabs
-Top Gabs are ranked based on these votes
-Gabs are also displayed in a chronological home feed, something that is no longer a default option on other social channels
Anyone who is searching for a space to communicate freely online is welcome on Gab.
We aren’t out to build an echo-chamber, but would rather welcome and embrace open, honest, and authentic discourse on the Internet.
So how is Gab different from X, Y, and Z social networks?
“The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.” — Tommy Smothers
- Gab will empower users to self-censor and remove unwanted followers, words, phrases, and topics they don’t want to see in their feeds. Self-censorship is the only true form of individual liberty and free speech online in an era of corporate-sponsored, politically manipulated, and ever-changing algorithms that are driving our social feeds.
- Gab will offer a premium ad-free subscription option for those who want to opt-out of ads completely. This is something AdBlockers might not be able to help out with for much longer.
- Gab will use artificial intelligence to help surface breaking news and trending gabs, offer on-demand information resources to users through Gab chatbots, and flag NSFW content for review.
- Gab will offer users the ability to reward content creators. In other words: we want to help you monetize the content you work hard to create.
- Gab will offer a secure direct message system for private communication.
- Gab will give users the ability to create ephemeral Gabs that disappear after a set time period.
- Gab will offer a developer-friendly API and pledges to work closely with the Gab.ai developer community from day one.
- Gab will open source the “trending” system that we put into place. This way the community can transparently see how Gabs/hashtags are trending, why, and work together to improve the trend system as the community grows.
What do you mean by “People First?”
People who use Gab will have the tools they need to customize their feed experience, monetize their content, and speak freely without fear of being suspended for some arbitrary unknown reason. Third-party Gab.ai developers will have the transparency and respect they deserve from a social network. They will also have pride in the product and community they are contributing to.
How can I sign up?
You can join our waitlist for our private beta here.
We will be rolling out invitations in waves daily over the coming weeks.
Why are we building Gab.ai?
At Gab, we believe that free speech and free thought are under attack. Political correctness has risen up at the expense of freedom of speech and has become a cancer on discourse and culture. We think that people shouldn’t treat unpleasant, counter-cultural, or conflicting ideas, words, or behaviors as full-scale criminal offenses.
In an ultra-PC culture, major online communication platforms and social networks censor dissenting opinions and ideas. They do so simply because these ideas don’t fit in with their own individual or corporate-driven political agendas and narrative choices.
What has discourse on the Internet become? A monster. A reflection of humanity itself, but a jaded, censored, and one-sided reflection at best.
Don’t believe us?
Here are just a few examples:
Perhaps the most famous case of censorship in ancient times is that of Socrates, sentenced to drink poison in 399 BC for his corruption of youth and his acknowledgement of unorthodox divinities. It is fair to assume that Socrates was not the first person to be severely punished for violating the moral and political code of his time.
This ancient view of censorship, as a benevolent task in the best interest of the public, is still upheld in many countries, for example China. This notion was advocated by the rulers of the Soviet Union (USSR), who were responsible for the longest lasting and most extensive censorship era of the 20th Century. (source)
“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
― John Milton, Areopagitica
“Censorship is the tool of those who have the need to hide actualities from themselves and from others.” — Charles Bukowski
“All censorships exist to prevent anyone from challenging current conceptions and existing institutions.” — George Bernard Shaw
“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” — Albert Camus
‘Trolls Are The Only People Telling The Truth’ — Milo
Claim your spot in line for Gab’s private beta here.
This is true Liberty when free born men
Having to advise the public may speak free,
Which he who can, and will, deserv’s high praise,
Who neither can nor will, may hold his peace;
What can be juster in a State then this?