1/72 Aichi E11A1 Build log. Pt.3

Painting

Painting part is usually the most creative for me — i often forget to make pictures of steps. The same thing has happened during this build as well. But i’ll try to describe at least the steps i’ve missed.

First steps

First i’ve used Tamiya black enamel paint to airbrush all of panel lines and shaded parts. This means if you see a hole, a recessed line, a joint between the wing and a fuselage, part of canvas between the wing ribs you airbrush it black. The resulting look is a dirty oil stained airplane. This step is needed so you won’t have to do a make shift shadows or paint wearing off effects.

After this step i had all of lower surfaces airbrushed Japan Navy Grey. After the had dried i’ve masked them with tamiya masking tape. Then i had all of the upper surfaces airbrushed with brightened Japan Navy Green

Then i’ve masked all of protruding parts of wings and used darker green for aurbrushing over the masks.

Fast recognition stripes.

Japan as well as other countries during WWII used special paint schemes to let their allies recognise each other. Japan used orange yellow stripes on the front part of the wing for that purpose. To replicate fast recognition stripes i had everything masked and airbrushed the mix of yellow and small amount of red paint.

Unlickily i had some of the paint gone under the masking tape and i had to fix this afterwards.

Decals

Next i was transfering insignia decals. Before doing this i had model airbrushed with Tamiya clear gloss coat. This step was to ensure the of decals. Otherwise there could be some amount of air stuck under the deacal.

Unfortunately i had to re-do insignia decals because i accidently damaged them while painting panel lines. So i’ve made stencils with the use of Tamiya masking tape. And airbrushed first white colour and red — next.

Rigging

I was getting close to the most bothersome part of the build — rigging the biplane with wire braces. It turnd out, that it took me almost 6 hours to finish. The process reminds of sewing only you have to fix the thread in every hole.

Final steps.

I’ve paintbrushed the wooden texture on the propeller blades an used some rust pigments on the cart.