Report: Preston leave it late to earn vital point against valiant Ipswich

An 89th minute equaliser from Jordan Hugill rescued a draw for Preston North End at Deepdale.

Visitors Ipswich Town had led since the 16th minute, but couldn’t hold out under intense pressure from the hosts.

Simon Grayson’s men started on the front foot, dictating the play and dominating proceedings, with Aiden McGeady integral to their play.

The Irish winger troubled Ipswich full-back Josh Emmanuel all-game long, and was often the source for the Lilywhites’ attack.

Early chances were frequent for Grayson’s side, with Daniel Johnson, Jordan Hugill and McGeady all coming close inside the opening quarter of an hour.

Ipswich’s opener came against the run of play; Tom Lawrence glided past Marnick Vermijl and Tom Clarke to fire home into the top corner; a truly exquisite strike.

The goal gave Mick McCarthy’s men confidence, and led to a good period of attacking play, culminating in Freddie Sears forcing a decent save from North End goalkeeper Chris Maxwell.

Towards the end of the first half, Preston’s chances were limited to long-range efforts from Paul Gallagher, which were blazed over the bar.

Problems were present for North End in the first half, as changes in shape saw Gallagher and Callum Robinson unsure of their position, which disrupted the fluency of the play linking defence to attack.

Preston made a fast start to the second half; Callum Robinson was unable to convert a Paul Gallagher cross, forcing a good save from Bartosz Bialkowski.

The Preston substitutions only enhanced their dominance on the game, Daryl Horgan in particular transforming the attacking play.

Fellow substitute Jermaine Beckford slotted through McGeady, whose thunderous strike produced an incredible reaction save from Bialkowski.

The final substitute was made with just over 10 minutes to go; 6'7" tall striker Simon Makienok replaced Vermijl, switching the formation to 3–4–3 and providing a target man for crosses.

As the atmosphere heightened North End got their equaliser; Daryl Horgan’s cross deflected off McGeady, and was fired home by Jordan Hugill from close range to hand the Lilywhites a well-earned draw.