Who are you?
You have the capacity to think both editorially and strategically. You’re an experienced storyteller, but that alone isn’t enough to keep you engaged. You’re fascinated by the changing media landscape around you, and you’re interested in what’s next. You want to shape this new world, change it, challenge the status quo, and usher in new ways of doing things — whether that’s new revenue models, new distribution mechanisms, or new storytelling formats.
What’s the position?
Medium’s Publishing team touches several parts of the business, including revenue-generating brand partnerships, media partnerships, and editorial. We’re currently dreaming up new revenue models that’ll help Medium and its users make money; we’re also engaging in exciting experiments in distributed content with media partners.
You’ll work with the company’s lead creative strategist to scale up training and support to our media partners, onboard brands and create best practices for them, and contribute to the ideation and execution of branded experiments. This position can be based out of San Francisco or New York.
- Educate and support media partners, encouraging adoption of best practices as well as Medium-native content experiments. Develop training materials for the same in conjunction with the company’s Marketing team.
- Onboard and support companies, track brand activity on the platform, and act as a consultant to develop best practices and training materials to maximize adoption.
- Ideate and execute on custom creative for brand partnerships, focusing on out-of-the-box uses of Medium-native features.
- Work with the Publishing team on editorial strategy related to new products and business plans.
- Assist in creation of sales collateral for revenue partnerships and products.
The ideal candidate has worked in content marketing or branded content for 2–3 years. Alternatively, your resume contains a well-rounded mix of both editorial and business-side positions. You have exceptionally strong writing and editing skills, with an intuitive appreciation of pathbreaking, cutting-edge story formats and a love of narrative experimentation.
You’ve preferably had experience with ideating and structuring multi-faceted branded content programs and have helped translate pitches into sales collateral. As a result, you are the possessor of superpower-like Keynote skills. In addition, you’ve deftly managed difficult clients in the past, and you now have the communication and negotiation skills to smoothen even the most frayed relationships.
You are deeply familiar with the dynamics of the agency world and possess a sophisticated understanding of both the native and programmatic advertising models. Finally, you’re well-versed with the media landscape, and understand the challenges and opportunities faced by both legacy and new media publishers.