Facebook Vulnerability: Non-unfriendable user in /hacked workflow

Ritish Kumar Singh
Jun 11, 2019 · 3 min read
Image for post
Image for post


When a victim goes to secure his account at facebook.com/hacked , he has an option to delete the friends which he didn’t add himself. But I noticed that, when the attacker’s account is in "deactivated" state, the removal doesn’t happen even if it shows "1 friend deleted successfully".


Victim cannot remove attacker as friend at facebook.com/hacked , if the attacker has deactivated his account. Which, poses a privacy risk if the victim is unaware of the bug.


This was Vulnerable in all the domains

1) www.facebook.com/hacked

2) mbasic.facebook.com/hacked

3) m.facebook.com/hacked and so on...


1. Victim’s account was compromised & he became friends with attacker.

2. After victim & attacker= friends, attacker will deactivate his facebook account.

3. Now victim goes to facebook.com/hacked to secure his account.

Image for post
Image for post

4. He clicks on "Friends and Followers".

Image for post
Image for post

5. He selects attacker’s name & clicks on "remove".

Image for post
Image for post

6. After that it will show "1 person deleted successfully"

Image for post
Image for post

7. Now try to reactivate the attacker’s account & observe

8. Victim & attacker are still friends.


That means all the changes done at facebook.com/hacked were not applied successfully when attacker’s account was in "Deactivated" state.


Jan 13: Report Sent

Jan 16: Triaged by Fredrick (directly)

Mar 07: Patched by Facebook

Mar 26: Bounty of $500 awarded

Upon further investigation, I found out that the bug was not patched on touch.facebook.com/hacked , because it has a different UI compared to other subdomains.

Mar 26: Report Sent

Mar 28: Reproduced by Dinesh

Mar 28: Triaged by Stewie

Apr 08: Patched by Facebook

Again, I noticed that no changes were made to the affected product (0% changes). I still wonder why they sent me the fix confirmation message.

Apr 08: I replied about the bad-patch

May 10: Triaged by Stewie

Jun 11: Fixed by Facebook

Thankfully, this time, they did the perfect patch xD

Jun 11: I confirmed the fix

Jun 11: Bounty of $1000 awarded

Image for post
Image for post

So total bounty for this vulnerability is $500+$1000 = $1500. Lucky enough ;)

My Message:

  1. Check for the bug in all the sub-domains
  2. Try to use “Deactivation” and “Blocking” in the weirdest ways possible. Think ahead of the developer.

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed the approach to the vulnerability & my lucky story. Visit me on facebook.

See you soon :-)

Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch

Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore

Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store