The date I am to present my final conept draws ever closer and so I feel Imust begin to focus more on concept design and narrow my research. Thankfully, this week’s interview proved to be most helpful to my objective as it provided me with a much clearer view on the group that would be most suited to my design.
So it was, that I booked an interview with he department of Interior Environmental Design as I’d been informed that they had been involved with garden related projects themselves and would likely be able to provide me with some beneficial advice.
The first pointer they gave me helped refine the demographic my design would be most suited to. While primarily I intended to install the project in private gardens for everyday citizens to utilise in their gardens, there was one shortcoming that would prove that movement difficult to perfect. Being that garden fencing is a shared property, both parties would need ot be in agreement for the design to be installed for whichever party purchased it. Additionally the departure and arrival of neighbours would likely complicate the situation further. Which is why the Interior Department thought it would be better to apply my design to groups who are either already into gardening or wish to learn about gardening. Allotments, shared and community gardens would be most suitable as my field research on them has shown them to be enthusiastic and passionate about gardening.
Secondly to improve the versatility of the product I had been considering other forms my design could take. Originally the modular aspect would be for it to be relocated and the features rearrangeable. But then, one of the lecturers compared my design to a flower, in that it could change forms to suit different times of the year. For instance in spring it could be shaped like a flower bed for planting, in the summer it could be a panel to provide shelter or entertainment and in winter it could be a shed or container like how a flower rises, opens and closes. I found the analogy to be very fitting for my design and an encouraging insight to how to improve upon my design’s modular form.
Finally we discussed the matter of what form the final submission could take. I told them of my thoughts on crafting an interactive scale model of a garden explaining the function and purpose for the design due to the lack of materials more suitable for a full size prototype. And while they said the model would be suitable presentation wise, for the project a working prototype would be more suited. As such, they suggested I craft the final concept out of a more available but still workable material such as wood in order to perfect and confirm the design’s function and purpose. In addition, to really present and fulfil the product’s purpose they suggested I give the prototype to one of the social gardneing groups I visited such as the allotment or community centre and then record them using it to present the experience of the design for the final submission. This I wholeheartedly agreed with as it held far more weight for the design and could do it more justice than an interactive model.
Overall, I found the visit to be very beneficial as it provided me with clarity and a better view on areas of the design process to look upon.