Nursing Resume New Grad Writing Tips
Mandatory Sections of the Graduate Nursing Resume
The new grad nursing resume may be the most important thing you write for many years as far as your career is concerned. Even those graduates with experience have never actually worked as RNs prior to graduation. New grad RN resumes will be what lands nursing graduates their first position as a licensed registered nurse. Resumes for new nursing graduates vary somewhat from those experienced RNs write. Aside from your name and contact information there are four sections that are essential to graduate nurse resumes. These four sections are the summary, licenses and certifications, education and clinical rotations. The clinical rotations section substitutes for the employment history section found on experienced nurses resumes.
Optional Sections You May Include in New Nursing Resumes
In addition to the four essential sections, there are also six optional section headings that could be included. Whether or not you include any or all of these sections depends on if you have relevant information that fits. The six optional sections are work history, affiliations, volunteer activities, honors and awards, skills summary and languages. Optional work history will be employment not directly related to nursing. If you have relevant information to include in a section then put it in the resume.
Determining Relevancy of Information for Optional Sections
What is relevant may not be apparent initially. You worked at the burger shack for one year without missing a day or being late? Include it. It shows employers you are reliable. A long history of volunteer work non nursing related? It indicates compassion and caring which employers value in nurses. Not every skill or characteristic employers look at is clinically based. Make use of what you have.
Nursing Resume New Grad Writing Tips
The following are some writing tips that may be useful as you work on your new grad RN resume:
- Provide a summary of your qualifications at the beginning of your resume. This profile presents a summary of who you are professionally. In making a summary of your qualifications, make it short and straight to the point. Avoid exaggerations and make the descriptions realistic.
- Use relevant keywords especially if you are submitting your nursing application online as employers keep applicants’ resumes in a database. When they are search for potential nurses to interview, the search function of the database looks for specific keywords entered in the search inquiry. Using relevant keywords will make your resume search engine friendly. Larger institutions employ automated systems many nurse resumes are cut because they don’t the right keywords
- Include your clinical experiences as a nursing student. If you don’t have any prior nursing related work experience to list, it is best to include details about your clinical rotations. Include only those relevant to the position you are applying for. If you already have prior entry-level experience omit your clinical experience as a nursing student
- Keep descriptions and other details concise. Get straight to the point. Well organized and concisely written information is much easier to scan.
- Don’t get overly creative with your resume in an attempt to attract attention. Resumes on brightly colored paper or with decorative borders look unprofessional and are usually ignored.
Get Our Help with Graduate Nurse Resumes
Sometimes tips fail to provide the assistance you need. Our service provides new graduate nursing resume writing help for those times when a list of tips is not enough. The writers we use are skilled professionals with years of experience working with nursing resumes. They know what employers like to see in new graduate resumes for nurses and how to present the information in the most effective way. Every resume we write is completely original and written to meet the specific requirements and needs of individual clients. To attract the attention of potential employers it is critical that you have a resume that helps you stand out from the crowd. Only originally written new nursing resumes will manage to accomplish this. A generic resume that resembles those that 100 other applicants submitted will be of no benefit to you whatsoever. The completed resume we deliver to you will show employers how you are different from the other applicants and why you are the best choice to fill the position you are applying for.
Great Benefits When You Use Our Superior Service
You will gain some additional benefits when you select our service that will ensure the entire process is stress free and as smooth as possible. Benefits include
- Full customer satisfaction guarantee with all work we provide
- Affordable rates without sacrificing quality
- Complete customer confidentiality
- Around the clock customer support 24/7