The Daily Thistle — News From Scotland
Wednesday 12th July 2017
“Madainn Mhath” …Fellow Scot, I hope the day brings joy to you…. “Horses Tails” crossed the sky this morning, quite ethereal as they trailed across the night sky sometimes stars peeped through like diamonds in a horses tail.. Ah! the magic of the early morning when you have imagination….
FAMILY TO COMPLETE BUCKET LIST OF TEEN WHO DIED IN CAR CRASH…. The family of a teenager who died after a road accident are to complete a bucket list of her wishes after discovering them on her laptop computer. Asten Jones, 18, of Dunoon, Argyll and Bute, died after her Vauxhall Corsa was involved in a crash with another car on the A815 in Kilmun on 21 May. She was taken by air ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow suffering from multiple injuries, including to the brain. Doctors took the decision to turn off her life-support machine after realising the severity of her injuries. Mother Cathy Muir said: “Doctors told me that even if she had survived her physical injuries, there was no way she could recover from her brain injuries.” Asten’s family were devastated by their loss and set up a GoFundMe fundraising page to fulfil her wishes, which included her desire to “do something for charity”. Mrs Muir, who has five other children, is preparing for a tandem freefall parachute jump on 22 August, which was one of the items on her bucket list. She said: “We discovered the bucket list on Asten’s computer when we were searching for photographs after her death. “There’s 42 items she wanted to achieve during 2017. We’ve decided that that we are going to complete the bucket list on her behalf. “She wanted to do something for charity, so I’m going to do the jump for charity, I also want to set up a small charity in Asten’s name. “It will allow people to apply for funding for books, uniforms, equipment which will enable them to go to sixth form, college or university to get qualified for their chosen trade.” Eight members of her family hope to work through Asten’s bucket list in her honour by 31 December. The items on the list include: jump into a pool fully-clothed, invent my own cocktail, name a star, get a piercing, go on a road trip with no destination and write a letter to my future self. Mrs Muir added: “We are going to work through the list. We are not all going to do everything, but we think we can do it by the end of the year.” The fundraising page for Asten can be found at https://www.gofundme.com/asten-jones-bucket-list-no-27
EMELI SANDE GIG AT EDINBURGH CASTLE ‘CANCELLED’…. Emeli Sande’s scheduled performance at Edinburgh Castle on July 13 has been cancelled — but the reasons behind the postponement are unclear. The Scottish singer-songwriter had also been due to perform in Cork, in Ireland three days earlier on July 10 but that concert has also been cancelled. A spokesperson for Aiken Promotions confirmed to a Cork radio station that the gig had been cancelled, adding: “Further details have not yet been made available, however, the event has been listed as ‘cancelled’ on Ticketmaster’s website.” Reports in the Netherlands, where Sande was due to perform on Friday at Rotterdam, suggested that the singer-songwriter had cancelled all dates on her European tour due to ‘exhaustion’. And Belgian media also confirmed that the singer had pulled out of a scheduled appearance at the Rcok Werchter festival on July 8, adding that all dates had been called due to ‘fatigue’. Hungarian media reporting on July 4 that Sande was scheduled to appear at the FINA Water World Championships in Budapest on July 14. Ticketmaster UK confirmed that emails had been sent to fans with tickets for the Edinburgh Castle show — but no additional details were made available, and a message on the ticket firm’s website simply read: “Cancelled. We issue all refunds for cancelled events automatically.” No details were available on Sande’s website, with the Rotterdam, Werchter, Cork, Edinburgh and Budapest shows still listed. Her six scheduled performances in August — two in Switzerland; two at the V Festival in England; one in Bochum, Germany and one in Belfast — appear to be going ahead as planned. Sande, 30, is due to embark on a ten-date tour of the UK and Ireland in October, starting in her hometown of Aberdeen, in support of her latest album, Long Live The Angels. The singer took a six-month break from the public eye in 2013, saying at the time: “I’m happy to leave the limelight for a bit and lay low. I’m going to be in the studio working on my next album.” She added: “I just want to make more music, as that’s my favourite thing.”
AUSCHWITZ SURVIVOR SAVED BY SCOTS SOLDIER DIES…. Who married the Scottish soldier who rescued her has died, aged 92. Edith “Eci” Mackay passed away in Balcarres Care Home in Broughty Ferry with her husband of more than seven decades, World War II veteran John, sat by her side. The Holocaust survivor died on Monday, June 26, following a bout of pneumonia. The story of her long, loving marriage to John captured the hearts of thousands of people earlier this year as the couple enjoyed their 71st Valentine’s Day as a married couple. A commando in the London Scottish 1st Battalion, John Mackay helped rescue a group of Jewish prisoners from Auschwitz as they marched with Nazi guards to another concentration camp. His future wife, Eci, was among them. Born Edith Steiner in the Székesfehérvár region of Hungary, she lost 39 members of her family during the holocaust. At a dance organised in a village hall following the rescue by the British troops, John was too nervous to ask Eci for a dance, sending a friend across to ask in his stead. Not impressed, Eci sent the pal back with orders that John should ask her to dance himself — which he did. The couple fell in love and “doted” on each other throughout their 71-year marriage. John and Eci tied the knot in Scotland in July 17, 1946 and referred to each other as “sweetheart” every day. John, now 96, was born in Glasgow and raised in Brighton. The couple lived in Edinburgh, Liverpool and Gleneagles before settling in Pitlochry, where they ran the Atholl Arms Hotel. John also served as a local councillor for many years. In 1997 they moved to Broughty Ferry. They have two children, Sharon MacKay and Peter Mackay, and seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Last night Sharon said: “My mum was an extremely private person, very, very kind and quiet. “Mum was just a mum. She was a seamstress in her youth. She was very quiet, very reserved, very kind and very family orientated.” She added that her mum “never spoke about” her time in Auschwitz, but that the story of her parents meeting each other was “amazing”. “I think she had Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and really struggled. She really had a lot of nightmares”, said Sharon. “It was 39 members of their immediate family they lost (during the Holocaust), aunties and uncles.” However she added that her father was “lost” without his beloved wife. She said: “He is absolutely lost. Thankfully they got to spend the last year together. He cared for her.” Eci only found out about one of her cousins, who had also survived the Holocaust and fled to Brazil, in February this year, after long-lost family members got in touch. Balcarres Care Home’s deputy manager, Vera Scrimgoer, said: “Sadly she passed away last week. It was natural causes. “All her family was with her, John was with her as well. It was sad for them. He was just totally doted on her and she doted on him, it was so sad.” Eci will be laid to rest at Dundee Crematorium on July 12. Roughly six million Jewish people died in the Holocaust. Eci’s mother also survived the horrors of Auschwitz, where around a million people perished. They were among the few who avoided death by being asked to work after arriving from a Hungarian ghetto in June 1944, and were resident there for six weeks. Both Eci and her mother were captive in the camp whilst Nazi Josef Mengele was conducting experiments on inmates. Eci made keepsakes during her time in the camp which she kept her whole life, including a comb and book of poems. John also served in North Africa, escaping an Italian prisoner of war camp in Tobruk, Libya.
FORMER COUNCILLOR SPARED JAIL FOR KILLING ABUSER HUSBAND…. A former councillor who killed her husband of 50 years after he had been accused of sexually abusing children has been spared jail. Susanne Wilson, 72, smothered 70-year-old Henry with a cushion at their home in Ayr last September. Wilson had been a carer for her housebound husband, who suffered from chronic heart disease. The court heard she had believed he wanted her to help him take his own life. Wilson — who had previously been facing a murder charge — admitted culpable homicide at the High Court in Glasgow last month. Prosecutors accepted the plea on the basis of her diminished responsibility at the time due to the strain she was under. When Wilson appeared for sentencing at the High Court in Dumbarton yesterday, judge Lady Rae said: “Mr Wilson suffered serious ill health both physically and mentally and it transpires he previously tried to commit suicide. “In addition, you had been confronted with distressing information about the husband you had lived with and loved for 50 years.” The judge said it was impossible to imagine the mental torment Wilson had been going through at the time she killed her husband and said it had clearly distorted her decision-making. Lady Rae added: “While recognising that in most cases such a crime would merit a very significant custodial sentence, I am prepared in the unusual and complex circumstances of this case to impose a non-custodial disposal. “There is no suggestion whatsoever that you are a risk to the public. I have come to the view therefore that punishment is not appropriate and having reached that conclusion I consider a community payback order is not justified nor is it required.” Sentence was deferred until January for good behaviour and for Wilson to continue receiving psychiatric treatment. Wilson had been a Labour councillor in Troon, South Ayrshire, in the late 1990s. The couple had three children but their eldest son Jonathan died in 2001 after battling cancer.
FAKE DONALD TRUMP TIME MAGAZINE COVER REMOVED FROM TRUMP TURNBERRY…. Staff at Trump golf courses in Scotland have been asked not to display a Time Magazine cover featuring the US President after it was confirmed to be a fake. The cover was framed and hung at a number of Trump courses in the US and Ireland as well as at Trump Turnberry in Ayrshire, according to the Washington Post. A member of staff at the Scottish resort told the newspaper the cover had been removed from the club’s Duel in the Sun Pub. READ MORE: Donald Trump’s son to open new Turnberry course The cover, which dates to March 1 2009, features an image of the Donald Trump with the headline “Donald Trump: The Apprentice is a television smash!” Time confirmed that the cover was a fake and said it had requested the Trump Organisation stops using it, according to reports.
On that note I will say that I hope you have enjoyed the news from Scotland today,
Our look at Scotland today is of Boddam Lighthouse and was taken by the excellent photographer William McNeil .. great picture it captures everything…
A Sincere Thank You for your company and Thank You for your likes and comments I love them and always try to reply, so please keep them coming, it’s always good fun, As is my custom, I will go and get myself another mug of “Colombian” Coffee and wish you a safe Wednesday 12th July 2017 from my home on the southern coast of Spain, where the blue waters of the Alboran Sea washes the coast of Africa and Europe and the smell of the night blooming Jasmine and Honeysuckle fills the air…and a crazy old guy and his dog Bella go out for a walk at 4:00 am…on the streets of Estepona…
All good stuff….But remember it’s a dangerous world we live in
Be safe out there…