Cooking in Zelda: Breath of the Wild is about a lot more than replenishing health.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has done away with finding hearts to replenish health. Instead you’re going to have to cook in order to stay strong, as well as create elixirs and other benefits.
You’ll find plenty of ingredients all around Hyrule, which you can stash in your pouch. From the menu highlight the items you want and drop them into a cooking pot. Now light the stove and the magic will happen.
It’s also worth noting that you can cook by setting fire to the environment, but you can’t cook anything too extravagant. This should only really be done in emergencies where you might need to cook raw meat to get your health back up.
You can cook between 1 and 5 items together in a pot and hold up to 60 meals and/or elixirs at any one time.
Cooking recipies, star fragment, Blood Moon and dragon part bonuses
Beyond cooking simple foods to restore health, different foods and items create useful buffs. You’ll need to experiment to see what you can make and how that boosts Link; A truffle, for example, will temporarily increase your maximum hearts, or creating a Chilly elixir will make you resistant to heat for a short period of time.
When you use an ingredient that contains a buff, it will have a prefix; Chilly, Energizing, Enduring, Electro, Fireproof, Hasty, Hearty, Mighty, Sneaky, Spicy and Tough.
You can’t combine these separate buffs, so no meal will be Hearty and Spicy. But you can combine the same ingredient to stack the buff, so throwing two chillies into a pot for a Spicy meal will make your resistance to cold longer lasting.
This is what each buff does:
- Chilly — Resistance to heat
- Energizing — Restores stamina
- Enduring — Extra stamina
- Electro — Resistance to shock
- Fireproof — Flame Guard
- Hasty — Increases movement speed
- Hearty — Restores full health
- Mighty — buffs Attack
- Sneaky — buffs Stealth
- Spicy — Resistance to cold
- Tough — buffs Defence
On top of these buffs, when cooking you may also hear a special sound. When this happens you will receive an extra bonus at random. These are:
- Extra yellow heart
- Three extra hearts
- Buff increase by a further 5 minutes
- Buff increased by +1
- Stamina increases
You can actually guarantee these bonuses by using particular items or cooking during a certain time.
Cooking during a Blood Moon, when the moon is red and enemies respawn, will give you a random bonus. As will using a star fragment or dragon body part in your recipe.
Zelda: Breath of the Wild best recipes & elixirs
These are some of the best recipes in the game, restoring bountiful amounts of health and stamina, combat boosts, buffs and other benefits.
- Best recipes to restore hearts
Simple recipes to restore your health including those can be cooked on an open flame rather than requiring a cooking pot.
Ingredients: Bird Egg
Effect: Restores 2 hearts
Ingredients: Apple, Raw Meat
Effect: Restores 3 hearts.
Seared Gourmet Steak
Ingredients: Raw Gourmet Meat
Effect: Restores 4 and half hearts, can be cooked on an open flame.
Fish and Mushroom Skewer
Ingredients: Fleet-Lotus Seeds, Zapshroom, Staminoka Bass.
Effect: Restores 7 hearts.
Ingredients: Hearty Truffle, Raw Meat, Courser Bee Honey.
Effect: Restores 10 hearts.
- Best recipes for cold resistance
You’ll need cold resistance early on in Breath of the Wild and all these ingredients are fairly common.
Spicy Fruit and Mushroom Mix
Ingredients: Hylian Shroom (x3), Spicy Pepper (x2).
Effect: Restores 5 hearts and gives cold resistance for 6 mins, 30 secs.
Spicy Pepper Seafood
Ingredients: Hyrule Bass, Spicy Pepper.
Effect: Restores 3 hearts and gives cold resistance for 3 mins.
Spicy Meaty Rice Balls
Ingredients: Raw Meat, Hylian Rice, Fresh Milk, Goat Butter, Spicy Pepper.
Effects: Restores 6 hearts and gives cold resistance for 6 mins, 40 secs.
- Best recipe for heat resistance
A simple dish to keep yourself nice and chilled.
Chilly Steamed Fish
Ingredients: Hylian Shroom, Cool Safflina, Hyrule Bass.
Effects: Gives heat resistance for 3 mins, 30 secs.
- Best recipes to boost attack power
Some of the battles in Breath of the Wild can be tough. These recipes boost your attack power for a short duration and restore hearts.
Mighty Crab Risotto
Ingredients: Hylian Rice, Goat Butter, Rock Salt, Razorclaw Crab.
Effects: Restores 4 hearts, gives attack boost for 4 mins, 10 secs.
Mighty Steamed Fish
Ingredients: Bird Egg, Hyrule Herb, Razorclaw Crab.
Effects: Restores 6 hearts and gives attack boost for 2 mins 50 secs.
- Best recipes for defense boost
The best defense is a nice big plate of food before a fight. Try these for better defense in battle.
Tough Fish and Mushroom Skewer
Ingredients: Hylian Shroom, Armored Carp.
Effects: Restores 3 hearts, gives defense boost for 1 min 20 secs.
Fortified Pumpkin, Milk.
Effects: Restores 2 hearts, gives defence boost for 3 mins 30 secs.
- Best recipes for speed boost
Get a wiggle on with these meals designed to increase movement speed.
Hasty Fish and Mushroom Skewer
Ingredients: Fleet-Lotus Seeds, Hylian Shroom, Hyrule Bass.
Effect: Restores 3 hearts and gives speed boost for 2 mins.
Hasty Friend Wild Greens
Ingredients: Swift Carrot.
Effects: Restores 1 heart, gives speed boost for 2 mins 10 secs.
- Best recipes to restore stamina
Don’t overlook stamina in Breath of Wild, as you can’t do a lot of climbing or running without it.
Energizing Fish Skewer
Ingredients: Staminoka Bass
Effects: Restores 2 hearts, refills stamina to max.
Energizing Glazed Meat
Ingredients: Raw Meat, Courser Bee Honey.
Effects: Restore 6 hearts and refills some stamina.
Energizing Meaty Rice Balls
Ingredients: Raw Meat, Hylian Rice, Courser Bee Honey.
Effects: Restores eight hearts and restores all stamina.
- Best recipes to increase stealth
Whether you want to sneak up on enemies or avoid a fight altogether, here’s some cracking recipes for staying hidden.
Sneaky Fried Wild Greens
Ingredients: Blue Nightshade.
Effects: Gives stealth boost for 2 mins.
Sneaky Steamed Fish
Ingredients: Silent Shroom (x2), Silent Princess, Sneaky River Snail (x2).
Effects: Restores 8 hearts and gives stealth boost for 10 mins.
- Spicy Elixir ingredients: Sizzlewing Butterfly, Bokoblin Fang.
- Effect: Cold resistance.
- Spicy Elixir ingredients: Warm Darner, Monster Parts.
- Effect: Cold resistance.
- Energizing Elixir ingredients: Bokoblin Horn, Restless Cricket.
- Effect: Restores full Stamina.
- Hasty Elixir ingredients: Highland Lizard, Monster Parts.
- Effect: Increases movement speed.
- Hasty Elixir ingredients: Hightail Lizard, Bokoblin Horn.
- Effect: Increases movement speed for 2 mins 10 secs.
- Hasty Elixir ingredients: Hot-footed Frog, Monster Parts.
- Effect: Increases movement speed for 4 mins 10 secs.
- Sneaky Elixir ingredients: Keese Eyeball, Sunset Firefly.
- Effect: Increases stealth.
- Sneaky Elixir ingredients: Sneaky River Snail, Sunset Firefly, Octorock Eyeball.
- Effect: Increases stealth for 5 mins, 50 secs.
- Electro Elixir ingredients: Thunderwing Butterfly, Yellow Lizalfos tail.
- Effect: Electric resistance for 5 mins, 40 secs.
- Electro Elixir ingredients: Thunderwing Butterfly, Electric Darner, Yellow Lizalfos tail.
- Effect: Electric resistance for 8 mins 10 secs.
- Chilly Elixir ingredients: Cold Darner, Red Lizalfos tail.
- Effect: Heat resistance for 5 mins 40 secs.
- Mighty Elixir ingredients: Bladed Rhino Beetle, Moblin Horn.
- Effect: Attack boost for 2 mins.
- Fairy Tonic ingredients: Fairy, Bokoblin Horn (x2), Bokoblin Fang (x2).
- Effect: a recovery Elixir that rewards with five heart icons.
Need more tips for Zelda: Breath of the Wild? Check out our full walkthrough here.
That’s all you need to keep Link healthy and strong. Happy cooking!