How Journaling Saved Me
One day, I had a particularly awesome day. I started wondering…
“Why was this day so great? What did I do to make it that way?”
In an effort to figure it out, I wrote everything down that happened that day:
- woke up early (without hitting snooze)
- drank water
- drank strong coffee
- ate healthy food
- made a list of my must dos
- brainstormed new projects
- didn’t turn on the TV, open Netflix, or browse YouTube videos
- focused on one thing instead of trying to multi-task
What I discovered, is that there are certain things I can do everyday to set my self up for success. Writing everything down helped.
Journaling is a great way record events, milestones, thoughts, dreams
I make notes of new project ideas, books to read, or podcasts to listen to. I like to write down my dreams, goals and prayers.
But I also write down other stuff:
- Highlights from a trip
- Memories of each child we foster parented
- Quilts I made — who I gave them to and the occasion
- The year in review
- Holiday meal planning, shopping, gifts, and guests
- Food log to rule out a dairy or gluten allergy
- Quotes that make me swoon and inspire me
Then, after a particularly difficult season in my life, I discovered art. I painted and journaled my way through it. I wrote a book about that time which includes the paintings and journal prompts I used to emerge from the darkness.
Journaling was a lifesaver.
How journaling helps me
- Stress relief — reminds me to enjoy the journey
- Personal growth — write down my goals and stick to them
- Helps work through my past— to honor the past and remember how far I’ve come
- Problem solving — it helps to reveal the answers already inside of me
Find my new Notebook Collection, featuring original cover art on Amazon.com.