Sneaky Tricks to Keep You from Unsubscribing
A compilation of the ways email marketers keep you from unsubscribing.
Make it hard
Can you find the unsubscribe link below?
Strategy: Make it hard for subscribers to see the required “unsubscribe” link.
- Don’t link from the word “unsubscribe.” That would draw attention to it.
- Link from a generic word, like “here.”
- Suppress the link underline.
- Seen elsewhere: Print the whole paragraph in small grey font.
Make them work for it
Even though you know their email, make them enter it again.
Ask them if they just need a little 30-day vacation.
Pretend like they don’t really want to go.
Don’t unsubscribe your users. Treat them like an abuser shouting while the victim walks out the door: “You don’t really mean that. I’ll see you soon. I’ll check in on you later!”
Strategy: Unsubscribe them temporarily.
How? Give them an email vacation. Then start again slowly.*
- I unsubscribed on August 26th. How long before I receive the next email?