8 Steps to Surviving LFF
My simple guide to getting the most out of your film fest (which is really more of a reminder for myself for next year than anything else):
- Get informed about everything on at the festival the minute the guide is announced — even if you’re not seeing it, know about it.
- Take the festival off work — how fabulous would it be to have that film-filled staycation? Very.
- Don’t make non-film plans — your friends will survive a fortnight without your wit, charm and general flakiness that ultimately follows.
- Plan your schedule in advance — picking up your guide each day and pondering what to see is a crap strategy, and you will miss out on key films.
- Make full use of your rush queue opportunitues — again, plan!
- Make your own lunch — you can’t afford sushi lunches and chai lattes every day for 2 weeks at the best of times…
- Not drinking isn’t the worst idea in the world either — how great is it not being hungover! Even if you don’t take the whole festival off, pick one event… don’t booze the whole time.
- Get as much sleep as humanly possible — because you will get sick. It’s inevitable. It happens EVERY YEAR.