Ten years in communications
Ten years ago today I started my first ‘proper job’ in communications, at Scottish and Southern Energy. Back then:
- Twitter was a fledgling. Jack Dorsey had only sent his first tweet five months before.
- Myspace was the most popular social networking site. (Remember Tom?)
- Facebook was only available to students. It opened to everyone a month later.
- The world didn’t know what an iPhone was.
- The global financial markets were doing just fine.
- Netflix was a DVD rental business, sending out DVDs by mail. The company had around six million subscribers. Today, 83 million people subscribe to its online streaming service.
- Gmail was two years old.
- The floppy disk drive (explanation for those under 20) was still a part of some new computers (but not for much that much longer).
- And finally, people weren’t so sure newsreaders should stand up to read the news.