Goals Create A Route For Success
Daily Synopsis of Maxwell Daily Reader, by John Maxwell
Title: Goals Create A Route for Success
Excerpt From: Your Road Map for Success
Action Taken Today: Review your goals to be sure they are encouraging you to fulfill your purpose and maximize your potential.
Today’s entry is short. Perhaps there isn’t too much more to say about goals that hasn’t already been said. People who achieve more in life have goals, while they may not be fantastical goals of rich and fame. They do set specific quantifiable goals to work towards, which inherently brings about success.
The picture above spells a simple acronym S.M.A.R.T. This mnemonic device is attributed to Peter Drucker a well management consultant, author, and teacher of the 1940s and 1950s.
I will use myself as an example to highlight each point.
- Specific -
- NOT: “I want to be healthy.”
- IS: “I want to lose weight to improve my health.”
- NOT: “I want to be skinny.”
- IS: “I want to lose 10 bs.”
- NOT: “I want to lose 50 lbs in 2 days.”
- IS: “I want to lose 5 lbs a month until I reach my goal.”
- NOT: “I can lose 20 lbs quickly if I only eat once a day for the next week.”
- IS: “I can lose 2 lbs a week by changing my diet, and walking more.”
- NOT: “I want to lose 20 lbs over the next couple of years.”
- IS: “I will lose 20 lbs three months from today.”
Putting it all together for myself.
“I want to lose 147 lbs over the course of 11 months, to reach my goal weight of 185 lbs by December 31st 2016. In order to achieve this goal I will need to workout a minimum of four days a week, practice Transcendental Meditation at least once a day seven days a week. I will also eat a clean diet, predominately from the Paleo Diet, consuming mostly protein, vegetables, some fruit, and nuts. More importantly I will make sure I eat this way 80–85% of the time, making sure to take breaks when I need them. Every action I take towards my weight loss will be aimed toward sustainability over the rest of my life.”
So on a daily basis now I need to reflect on my actions to see if the way I am actually living my life aligns with what I wrote. Based on this week so far I’m 3 for 3. I’m working out, I’m eating clean, and meditating.
“The main thing is to be constantly moving toward your destination.”